Whats your replacment for Klear?

simmo

Its still made, its just SC Johnson has re-branded it a couple of times, but its the exact same stuff:

KLEARand-FUTURE.jpg

9f863b97-f8a2-4793-99af-187739125507_300

At least still available in the US I should say, not sure about the UK.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Hi Simmo - I use Quick Shine Floor Finish from Lakeland. I think its the same as the re-formulated stuff - so is cloudy but drys clear. It has the US flag on the back, for place of manufacturer, so i think it's the same. Iain (32 SIG) put me on to it. Great stuff Ive had no issues with it.

Happy Days - Taff :D

• 2 weeks later...

How is Humbrol´s Clear if you can´t get those above, in comparision?

Totally different product.

I cant say for Quick shine floor finish from Lakeland, but Future/Klear/Pledge is a very liquid stuff, almost as thin as water, which is not an acrylic nor an enamel varnish. It is intented to clean and protect floors and is used as a very cheap and thin varnish for the modellers.

Compared to Future/Klear/Pledge, the humbrol's Clearcoat is more tacky, need to be thined, doesn't like enamel washes, take a year to dry and the small tin is almost the same price than a liter of Klear.

On the other hand, some prefer other products than Klear. For instance, i find it a bit too much liquid and i prefer the Alclad aqua gloss (for the same main purpose : gloss coating a model before decalling) which is also airbrush ready but a bit thicker, and gives you a nice gloss finish with only 1 coat, and dries pretty fast. But i do have a bottle of Klear and use it from time to time for various applications.

Edited by Zero77

Brilliant stuff - and sprays far better than Clear/Klear/Future IMHO.

Been using same bottle last three years...

Iain

Iain,

Do you thin first or spray straight from the bottle?

Thanks,

Tony