My first WW1 project: Albatros DVa from the WNW kit in 1/32

alberto49

As I wanted to deviate a bit from my usual WW2 models, I decided to purchase my first kit from WNW, this one:

box-vi.jpg

Not surprising is a very nice kit full of details but I also purchased a few after-market products:

• Safety belts and a "nail set" from HGW
  • Metal turnbuckles from GasPatch models
  • and, stll fro HGW, an impressive decal set to replicate lozenge camou

lowerlozenge-vi.jpg

upperlozenge-vi.jpg

So, let's start with some pictures concerning the cockpit:

DSCN1130-vi.jpg

DSCN1137-vi.jpg

DSCN1134-vi.jpg

More to follow soon.

Alberto

Then the Mercedes Engine:

DSCN1124-vi.jpg

DSCN1120-vi.jpg

DSCN1125-vi.jpg

DSCN1123-vi.jpg

DSCN1122-vi.jpg

and how they will look together:

DSCN1129-vi.jpg

DSCN1127-vi.jpg

As you can see in the last picture, most of my work will not be visible at the end, but I know is there and I enjoined very much doing it.

Any comment and/or suggestion is very welcome.

Alberto

• 2 months later...

Very nicely done Alberto! I love these Wingnut Wings kits and I'm working on a Pfalz DIIIa build myself right now. There's a couple of things I noticed on your engine that you may want to change. The compression handle assembly on the back of the camshaft drive is positioned incorrectly and I don't know whether that will cause any fit problems later on. I've attached a pic of the Mercedes engine I built for my Fokker DVII so you can see what I mean. The other thing I noticed is that there is a metal shield on top of both intake manifold arms where the manifold attaches to the cylinders. The metal shields are held in place with two small clamps. You can see it clearly in the 3rd photo of your engine. You may want to paint those metal shields and the clamps a contrasting metal colour. I hope you don't mind my observations as I'm only trying to help a fellow modeller!

Cheers,

Wolf

Compression-handle_zps3a3a5160.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Hi Wolff, many thanks for your help, I appreciate it but honestly I don't understand what you mean when you say that there is something wrong in the compression handle assembly, is it the angle it's positioned or something else? Or may be that cylindrical part that should be pointing downwards?

Many thanks for letting me know.

Alberto

Very nicely done Alberto! I love these Wingnut Wings kits and I'm working on a Pfalz DIIIa build myself right now. There's a couple of things I noticed on your engine that you may want to change. The compression handle assembly on the back of the camshaft drive is positioned incorrectly and I don't know whether that will cause any fit problems later on. I've attached a pic of the Mercedes engine I built for my Fokker DVII so you can see what I mean.  I hope you don't mind my observations as I'm only trying to help a fellow modeller!

Cheers,

Wolf

Compression-handle_zps3a3a5160.jpg

I think Wolf means you need to rotate it 90 degrees clock wise and flip it over. The tube is to point down :hmmm:

Then the Mercedes Engine:

DSCN1123-vi.jpg

DSCN1122-vi.jpg

Any comment and/or suggestion is very welcome.

Alberto

Cheers