Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

Thanks guys.  :)

Danny, that would be awesome. I really only need the tail codes, and I think I can make a Black Ponies emblem with my Photo-draw program and the new fonts I just got, but can you send me a scan of them for sizing purposes?

Brian I have the 1/48 Fireball OV-10A Black Pony VAL-4 sheet if you need info or scan them for sizing  :coolio:

http://www.blackpony.org/images.html

Cheers

Couldn't the spurious Navy OV-10D markings be used on the A?  (Navy never flew D's except for the VX squadrons.  Black Ponies were decommissioned before the D came out, IIRC...)

Ski

Couldn't the spurious Navy OV-10D markings be used on the A?  (Navy never flew D's except for the VX squadrons.  Black Ponies were decommissioned before the D came out, IIRC...)

Ski

Yep, that is where the "cobbled" part comes in. I have a nice (but older) Photo-draw program that I can scan in the Black Ponies emblem from the D kit, flip in the reverse of the image is currently and then make some numbers over the top of the Pony as well as some tail codes. Im also using all the Navy ejection seat warnings, prop warnings, and rescue warkings from the Navy scheme as well. All is pretty much there except the "Pony 15" emblem and the tail codes. It wont be that hard at all I dont think.

This first OV-10A will be 100% OOB, and for KHs display/manufacturers tables only, so I think Glen just wants it nice, and is not as much concerned about the decals.

IIRC, I think KH made that Navy scheme from a an actual 1:1 VLA-4 tribute aircraft.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Yep, the Caracal 1/32nd sheet wont be out for a while yet, but is expected to have some, but not all of the schemes from the caracal 1/48th sheet. These are also printed by Cartograf, so you KNOW they will be quality decals. I dont think anyone (but Caracal) is quite aware of which schemes they will pluck from their 1/48th sheet for their 32nd sheet:

cd48068profiles.jpg

Ski

Yes it can. But they had two paint schemes. Have a look at the Caracal decal set Second from the bottom. 

IIRC, I think KH made that Navy scheme from a an actual 1:1 VLA-4 tribute aircraft.

Its for LT Pete Russell that was a pilot for the Black Pony's. He was KIA with them. He also is a Mig Killer with VA-176 shooting down a Mig 17 or 15 with a A-1H Skyraider. But he did not get it confirmed. Also the CO of VA-176 during the Shoot down of the Mig's. He started VAL-4 Black Pony's

http://www.fold3.com/page/93133182_peter_fransson_russell/photos/

http://www.skyraider.org/skyassn/sartapes/migkill/migkill.htm

The Tribute ac is at Pensacola FL National Museum of Naval Aviation

To Brian  The info on the Fireball decal's are on that CD I sent you!!!!  So you have it all ready scanned  :doh:

Cheers

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Thanks Danny.  :)

The CobraCompany XM-157s came today as well, and a are actually VERY nice. I will not be using them nor the fisher stuff, nor the AMS stuff I bought for the this D, nor for the KH demo A model, but for my own OV-10A when I get to it.

On to some actual build progress. Tonight it was all about the details.................

I started off by getting a start on the parts to complete the aerial antenna. This for whatever reason is not included in the kit, but is in a fairly prominent place. This is part documentation and representation, and part gizmology to get the look I was after.

Some of the horizontal stab parts for the antenna:

DSC03978.jpg

The other end attached to the fuselage I had some better pics of, and started making the base. V 1.0 was WAY over scale:

DSC03971.jpg

DSC03972.jpg

V 2.0 was much better and a LOT smaller and more realistic, especially when seen with the first version:

DSC03973.jpg

I will run the actual antenna later using Bobs Buckles cut tubes, and EZ Line, after all the details are finished, but I wanted get each end fabricated and install to accept it.

Next I finished off the empty (in this case) external store stabilizers and got the gear installed and glued in place:

DSC03975.jpg

DSC03976.jpg

MORE.................

Next up, were the wheels. I used some slow drying thick CA to glue these into place. All I have to say is I would highly recommend gluing the wheels on with some positive camber to them when they are off the ground and weightless. This is because there is enough flex in the gear so as to let the flat spots on the wheel splay out and end up with the model setting on the edges of the flat spots, instead of the mode resting squarely on that weighted spot.

The overall model is light enough to take this I believe, and If you glue in a little positive camber, you will end up with every thing resting flat as it should:

DSC03981.jpg

DSC03982.jpg

If you dont, things wont look right. Even though the OOB gear did work and I think will not buckle under the weight of the model, a set of G-Factor gear will eliminate any flex and no camber should have to be glued into the wheels to get things to set straight.

While the gear dried, I glued in and painted the starboard side cockpit center pylon that will hold the open/close tension springs for the canopy crew hatches, and glued in the starboard spoilers as well:

DSC03991.jpg

DSC03990.jpg

Finally for tonight I finished off the gear by attaching the gear doors and actuators. These will also get a wash after they dry completely:

DSC03985.jpg

DSC03986.jpg

DSC03987.jpg

DSC03988.jpg

Tiz all for tonight gents! Im still on call and will be through Thurs of next week, so if it manages to stay calm, I might even have this thing done by next weekend. If not Im planning on finishing it up on my days off next weekend. I also have a tomorrow too, so no telling what I may get done.................that list is growing slightly shorter now.

Cheers!