Hobby Boss IL-2M3 (*DONE* and more pics added to Pg.7!)

mywifehatesmodels

Thanks, guys.

Well I got the rest of the camo done and unmasked the stars. I like the way the camo looks. However, I'm going to have to ask you guys for more expletives, because I just used every single one I know while unmasking the markings. :blowup:

20141202_230722_zps63108a67.jpg

20141202_230752_zpse1ffe261.jpg

20141202_230728_zps95f69a51.jpg

20141202_230806_zps0d2c884e.jpg

Rather than trying to fix all that paint, I think I'm going to put the kit decals on, then touch up from there. They measure the same, but don't have the red border, so I would have to paint that in the places where it pulled off. Not sure exactly why this happened. It could be the Micro Mask, or it could be that the red paint just didn't want to stick to the white in any case. I don't know. Just have to deal with it, I guess. :mellow:

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Ouch! Bummer about the stars John. I know it's not the look that applies here, but I reckon the way they've turned out is dead on for weathered markings on an old wreck.

Kev

LOL Kev. I was thinking the same thing!

What's worse, is that I just checked the decals again and they're actually larger than the masked markings. There is another set that's the right size, but they are the two-tone segmented stars and just wouldn't look right. I checked the Mig 3 kit in my stash and those are too large, also. So, I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and get ready for a very "fun" painting session to patch these up. It's 1am here now, so time to go to bed. I'll sleep on it and give it a go tomorrow.

On the plus side, my first attempt at using hairspray as a chipping fluid was fairly successful. In fact, I probably could have gone further with it, but didn't want to get too crazy, especially on my first try. The funny thing is that the water doesn't seem to penetrate the dark gray as well as the other colors. Not sure why, but I've got enough chips going already to make it look good, anyway.

G'nite, all.

John

You are a freakin machine John!

Bummer on the stars/roundels...........hope it all works out. FWIW, I think that putting decals over none sanded painted stars would not have turned out the way you want anyway. Looking forward to the fix!

Thanks for your support, guys.

I got the stars touched up, but they'll never be anywhere near what I would like them to be. After getting them to look the best I could, I went ahead and painted the rest of the markings on. This was all done freehand and they don't match the photos perfectly, but I did the best I could in my current state of mind (the whole issue with the stars has really deflated my enthusiasm for this build). I did some weathering after all the markings were painted on. I'll have to go back and do more touch-ups, especially to the stars, but there's only so much I can do with them. The paints are starting to fight with each other and, so far, I've had to use a combination of the AKAN lacquer (the red) and white in both oil and watercolor, as things are starting to smear really easily. This is all a bummer, but maybe I can still make a good "two footer" out of this build. Okay, maybe a "three footer". :rolleyes:

20141203_202227_zps32a24dcd.jpg

20141203_225443_zps5639a8b1.jpg

20141203_225509_zps43bba0a2.jpg

20141203_225555_zpsdefeddad.jpg

20141203_225603_zps5f53c2ca.jpg

John

Guest Peterpools

John

Glad you were able to work a fix for the stars and from the photos, they look quite good. Cammo and chipping is so very well done.

Keep 'em coming

Peter