And then I remembered why I kinda lost interest with this kit. :)

The cockpit has quite a few seams and flash that needs to be eliminated. Some of the worst ones were on the left side. The trim level panel is zigzagged with a very prominent mold seam line that runs over the top of knobs, jogs in and out of levers and finishes out on top of the large trim wheel!

If YOU can clean this up you are better than I.

I figured the best way to attack it was to remove most of the detail and rebuild after things are sorted out....rather than fight trying to save the detail that would surely been damaged by seam removal. Further the large trim wheel was sorta soflty molded into the panel, I needed to better define it.

18479960726_6dab91740b_o.pngimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

18508251221_da00c95299_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

Detail removed....sadly while I do have a nice set of punches, I wont be able to reproduce the trim knobs perfectly, but they will look good enough.

18319642148_d4e82a13bd_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

And the front, note i drilled small holes to locate the detail I removed and of course removed the seam.

18319616818_53990aec55_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr}

So there you have it, a better defined trim wheel and a clean area to add detail back!

Great fun.

Ryan

Edited by Ryan
Guest Peterpools

Ryan

Very nice work on re-building the removed front office details. Just seems this is work that for the cost of the kit, you shouldn't have had to do. Hopefully the balance of the build will be smoother sailing.

Keep 'em coming

Petet

Yeah, not wanting to rebuild anything else for sure!

It's not completely fair for me to say this is needed, i'm sure most guys wouldn't take it this far. My day job is is high end cabinetry and woodworking, so I tend to take that eye to my modeling desk. :) This is not fun for me, i'd much rather just build and paint and probably need to let some things go. Life is too short.

However having said all of that, it was still a bugger of a seam to try and clean and I figured just rebuilding it would sit well with my too critical eye.

Ryan

Guest Peterpools

Ryan

Right with you and fully appreciate your work ethic and attention to detail. I feel much the same and am trying to do more OOB builds both in 32nd and 48th scale, so the enjoyment level of the hobby remains high and isn't diminished dealing with these details that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Andy,

I learned it probably wasn't the smartest thing to glue the cockpit side walls to the fuselage parts.

There are no problems with fit or anything, its just that your then forced to glue each stringer/ frame bulkhead to the side. And then to hold a wash, putty them in. :(

I'll post pics to illustrate, if I can complicate a step I'll do it!

Ryan

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Seems like a good New Years resolution to get this one finished!

2014...oh my.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I have the same feeling  about my tamiya Mustang, also started  mine in 2014....

hope we get enough strenght to finish up the build this year, YES WE CAN!!!

cheers

Antonio

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/2758-tamiya-p-51-mustang-betty-lou/?tab=comments#comment-37533