Horten hears a Deere - Ho229 back from the dead!

seiran01

Great info, thanks Chris! I'm forging ahead with the jumos out of the box and will post pics of the external bits a bit later on. I don't think the rear attachment point is on the model but then again it seems these jumos are attached at the sides or bottom, not the top, as the only metal over most of the engine is only the nacelle cover.

Chris, engine pix for you! They have added the rear attachment point, i can't tell about the generator (molded on gearbox) and rev controller shapes so interpret the pics as needed. I've asked Jeff Cadenhead if I can repost pictures of the Jumo he's built from his kit - until he replies, check them out on his facebook page "What Ever Happens To Be On The Work Bench," it's the 3rd post down

2.jpg

unnamed1.jpg

1.jpg

And with permission, I'm excited to share what can be achieved with the ZM Jumo 004 engine out of the box. Here are some shots of Jeff Cadenhead's beautiful engine from his Horten kit. Note that the black heat shields are added.  The black lines on my engine above correspond to where the shield sits.

Note also the engine stand here - the parts for the stands are cleverly molded as part of the sprues holding the engine pieces!

Jeff1.jpg

Jeff4.jpg

jeff2.jpg

Jeff3.jpg

These 4 photos copyright Jeff Cadenhead August 2014, used with permission.

Hi Seiran,

If your still planning to use a BMW003, I have 'found' some reference for you. HPH models have a 1/18 scale model of this engine and the construction manual goes into depth of building one, including all the plumbing and pipework. You can find the manual here: http://www.hphmodels.cz/images/stavebni_navody/bmv_003.pdf

cheers, Wouter

Thanks for the pics, Mike! I did some research work in between and these are my results:

The revolution controller, fitted to the only remaining Jumo 004 prototype engine, which is on display at Hannover/Laatzen museum. The ZM kit part is looking quite accurate!

IMG_2340a_zpsaa98b0f6.jpg 

Jumo 004 on the Me262 at Deutsches Museum Munich:

DSCN2863a_zps7b5a53be.jpg

Note the generator protruding over the gearbox:

IMG_1280a_zpsb8cb09bd.jpg

I can hardly imagine that it found enough space in the Horten wing:

5704p_zps7303d18d.jpg

Looking into the Jumo maintenance handbook I found that the generator isn't mentioned there at all! So I came to the conclusion that the generator isn't actually part of the Jumo itself, but rather an aircraft-specific device. To me it seems possible that it could have been replaced by a smaller one.

Handbuch1_zps88c3d694.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more of this build!    :)

Chris

Ok, oil on the wing and control surfaces finally dried, so I've sprayed a thin coat of clear orange over it to finish it up. Wing fuel tanks have been primed in tamiya semi gloss black, for a dull-ish alclad metal finish. Started priming the engines as well, no pics to share on those yet sorry guys :)

With the exception of the drag rudder pushrod assembly, this is the complete inner wing pieced together pre-painting. The grey piece in top of photo is the compass which will be attached to the inside rear lower wing at the root. I'm loving this!!!

unnamed.jpg

unnamed1.jpg

Looking into the Jumo maintenance handbook I found that the generator isn't mentioned there at all! So I came to the conclusion that the generator isn't actually part of the Jumo itself, but rather an aircraft-specific device. To me it seems possible that it could have been replaced by a smaller one.

As I recall, the Horten brothers run into that problem after switching from the BMW003 to the Jumo 004. The generator wasn't mentioned in the drawings they got from Junkers but when the first engines arrived they where surprised to find the generator on it. It wouldn't have fit in the airframe. To adept this problem they were allowed to fit the generator somewhere else in the airframe. I'll check my reference on this when I get home.