HpH Supermarine Walrus - Operation Torch - 1942

Out2gtcha

• 2 weeks later...

LOOK WHOS  BAAAAAAACK!  

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement guys. Shes had her covers removed, and has been towed from the abandoned end of the airfield into the bright lights of the resto hanger.

Onward and upward!!!

I decided to use this opportunity to assemble my "other" JH models stand............the biplane stand. I soon found out the tusked one is WAY too big to utilize the full intended nature of the stand.

Here is the stand as assembled sitting in the rear fuse cradle at the lowest position, with the wings near the same:

2015-05-05%2019.28.44.jpg

Here you can see the Walrus resting comfortably on the upper supports alone. The position is too high and thus the rear of the fuse is in the air, but you get the idea............easy for support with two sets of supports; impossible with four:

2015-05-05%2019.28.29.jpg

So I decided that since it would still be cool to have a 2ndary NEW stand to continue the Walrus on Id just remove the lower supports and use it as just a normal stand, instead of an alignment jig/support stand. To be honest Im not sure what kind of job it would have done as an alignment tool anyway.

The Walrus now fits comfortably in her new stand:

2015-05-05%2019.42.20.jpg

2015-05-05%2019.40.49.jpg

You can see with the top wing just resting in the general ball park of where it will permanently reside, there is no way to utilize the 2nd set of supports. Shes gonna be a big un:

2015-05-05%2019.41.23.jpg

Next up, its time to hack off those exhausts on the engine and cut them down to a more appropriate size. More on that later this week Im hoping. Pics soon!

Cheers all,

That awful scale Hustler is on hold I take it  :whistle:  

Hope to see some updates soon

Yes indeeedy Danny. The fact that it IS in that *OTHER* scale *SHUDDERS* is a factor, plus I dont have my FM&P afterburner set yet. Mainly though its the fact that I do still like the Walrus but I NEED to get her off the bench. Its too nice of a kit.............and has traveled TOO far for me to not finish her.  

Thanks guys!    Much appreciated on the positive comments.   This really is a fun kit, save the one SUPER scary moment (drilling out the holes in my completed fuse to insert the wing reinforcement rods), and the fact that the way HpH makes their kits with the parts on a whole backing sheet of resin, does create the need for a bit more work, but the kit is still a blast.

I do believe I am IMHO past the most difficult part(s) of this build. After I get all of the exhaust stacks removed, cut down, re-painted then RE-glued onto the engine, I will likely get the engine mount/pod attached to the airframe.

I do still need to attach all the little scoops and what not to the pod, but these are not that difficult to add. Ive also been looking at the small part of the vertical stabilizer and how off it is...............really need to take some filler to that thing to even it out.