HpH Supermarine Walrus - Operation Torch - 1942

Out2gtcha

This is the real deal folks, fantastic work Brian.

Thanks Justin!   Kind of you to say. Its tough sometimes display your work on LSP...............there are some DAMN fin modelers....................some of the best on the planet in any scale, so it can be intimidating to even someone who builds and displays all the time.    :lol:

With all the gobs and gobs of talent around this place, it DOES however tend to amp your skill set up when posting. Its almost impossible NOT to get better around here with so many great people, builds and techniques being shared!

It's a funny old beasty, the Walrus....and you're right Brian it is a surprisingly big aeroplane. There's one at Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm museum just down the road from me so if you need any reference pics just let me know, though it could be too late for you now?

Max

It's a funny old beasty, the Walrus....and you're right Brian it is a surprisingly big aeroplane. There's one at Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm museum just down the road from me so if you need any reference pics just let me know, though it could be too late for you now?

Max

Thanks Max!    I actually had PhilB gather me a whole CD full of reference pics he took.......................maybe the same one at the FAA museum?   Not sure how many Walrie Walrus's? are on display in the UK.....................I believe it might even be the same one pictured in the HpH instructions.

I started lining things up to see where I was, as I forgot any and all details it seem on where I left off.   I got the canopy and engine pod set in place:

DSC04553.jpg

I also set one of the beautiful GasPatch Vikers K machine guns. Seems they have gotten a tad dusty setting around while two other models got built:

DSC04556.jpg

As I recalled, I had a space at the front starboard engine pylon post, and the rear port side post:

DSC04551.jpg

I went ahead and glued on the engine pylon/pod assembly, but I must not have had it in the position I wanted because in the AM I found it was WAY off to the starboard side. It is supposed to have a twist pointing to the port side, which it did, but it the spacing was off, and although it was pointed off to port, the majority of the pod was off on the starboard side!   BOOOOOO!!!!     

There ya go Harv!    :lol:

I didnt take any pics of how it looked at the time, as I was quite frustrated.  CRAP. Now what?   Well...........really only two simple options

1 - Leave it as it is.   - NO way, its way too off

2 - Break the damn thing and reglue it.     Crap. 

So, thats exactly what I did.  I carefully torqued the pod in a manor to TRY to break the front starboard and rear port joints at the fuselage side.  What actually happened was, I was left with nasty and quite rough looking gaps at both the bottom (fuse side) of the rear port pod joint and the top (engine pod side) of the starboard post. You can see I also added the top fuselage vent, as well as hollowing out the inside of the port side engine scoop, and adding the resin scoop itself:

DSC04558.jpg

As well as a break/gap at the top of the forward starboard engine pod mount:

DSC04559.jpg

This was not as bad as I first had thought. Actually with the break at the top of the starboard/engine side, and the inner metal rod still embedded in the engine pod, it made it very easy to get the engine pod where it was supposed to be, using some 15 min 2 part epoxy.

You can see with just a small amount of finger pressure, I could get the pod to set where it is supposed to be:

DSC04560.jpg

So,

After much himing and hawing, I fixed the pod  where it should have been and applied the epoxy and let it set overnight.

You can see the results here.......................you can also get a better look at the hollowed out cooling scoop on the port side of the engine pod. I then applied some Mr Surfacer 1500 that will later all be smoothed out when the joints get blended in.

Overall, Im MUCH happier with this, and think it turned out pretty good looking in the end, and will get only more so once smoothed and blended:

DSC04562.jpg

DSC04563.jpg

You can see the characteristic very slight twist of the engine pod to the port:

DSC04564.jpg

DSC04565.jpg

Well, thats it for now boys and girls!   Next up, Ill probably start back on the engine and see if I can get the exhaust stacks where they need to be.

Cheers!

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Great to see the Walrus back on the bench, in it's own stand and underway. Some mighty fine open field running breraking the engine assembly loose and re-seting it in the correct location and orientation.

Sure is looking might fine.

Of course, with the way things are going now, you will be up to steam on the Walrus and all of a sudden both the B-58 and a F7F will be released and you will be off with three builds underway.

Keep 'em coming

Brian

Great to see the Walrus back on the bench, in it's own stand and underway. Some mighty fine open field running breraking the engine assembly loose and re-seting it in the correct location and orientation.

Sure is looking might fine.

Of course, with the way things are going now, you will be up to steam on the Walrus and all of a sudden both the B-58 and a F7F will be released and you will be off with three builds underway.

Keep 'em coming

Damn you Peter!     :lol:   Im 1/2 hoping your right and 1/2 hoping your wrong.    Who am I kidding, Id drop most anything for a 1/32nd F7F!   

I have no clue what I would do if presented with both a 32nd F7F and a 32nd B-58.    Id be getting both, and might have to toss a coin..............but Id be a hard flip to NOT build my first or second favorite airframe in 32nd.