HK Models 1/32 Do 335B

LSP_Kevin

- the front of that area seams very "buldgy"

Not sure if this helps with your assessments at all Loic, but the front and rear engines have different reduction housing parts, with that for the front engine being much slimmer:

8Tniav.jpg

Kev

Thanks Kev,

makes me realise that I might not be very clear in my comments :doh:

This part you show above I would call it the reduction box or gear box (might not be 100% appropriate) and it looks spot on to me.

They are indeed different between front and rear engine on the real thing.

What I am refering as being a bit too bulgy is the front area of the crankcase and that is to me a consequence of it looking a bit too wide to me.

Once again, no big deal and I am sure that if I did not spent hours studdying this engine/AC for my own build, I would never have noticed.

So no "worry" guys, I was just thinking out loud here  ;)

Keep up the good work Kev and stop talking about that burn out thingy unless you'll be :fight:

:D :D :D

Edited by Loic

Kev.

This is shure a really nice build going on here, nice building and painting and weathering, i like it alot, ive been lurking around this thread for a while....

im looking forward to se more of this one.

/Mal

Thanks once again for checking in fellas, and for your nice comments. I can now say I've finally finished the engine! The exhausts went well enough, but one side turned out a bit wobbly-looking for some reason.

ueSyC1.jpg

u47EpH.jpg

I took a punt and presumed that all the slightly longer parts were for the rear engine, where it wouldn't be as closely cowled as the front. After priming, I painted them with Model Master Burnt Iron, following by a bit of a soaking with Flory's Rust wash. I decided to give airbrushing it a go for the first time. It works well enough, but not sure I'd bother again. They're also a little more red than I was really aiming for, but painting exhausts convincingly is the hallmark of a master, and I ain't that! I guess it's not too late to touch them up with a darker wash. I'd really like to achieve a burnt metal look though, rather than the rusty one.

Once the exhausts had had sufficient time to become secure in their sockets, I began the process of fitting the engine to the rear bay. The rear mount fits over its mounting pin very securely, so I barely even bothered to use any glue there. The feet of the mounting arms at the other end also fit quite nicely, but I still ran a little liquid cement under them.

The only snag I encountered was with the pipe that's meant to insert into a hole in the forward bulkhead:

U0nhfW.jpg

The pipe is actually around 1.5mm too short, and so doesn't go in the hole! I extended it with a short length of Evergreen .035" rod, and then trimmed it to length and fitted it into place:

ThZcCv.jpg

I didn't even bother painting the while plastic, partly because the colour contrast actually looks effective, partly because it would have been difficult to do neatly, but mostly because you can't really see the damn thing in the end anyway!

Here's the entire assembly so far:

gigzk2.jpg

YhRlUD.jpg

And the top of the engine, which will be completely hidden once the fuselage is closed up:

K8QDSB.jpg

Just for kicks, I decided to test-fit the entire thing into the fuselage:

q3VaeD.jpg

celrRL.jpg

Looking good! Sadly, once the roof goes on, there's not as much to see as I'd hoped:

rodbKb.jpg

I couldn't get the fuselage spine to sit as neatly as I'd hoped, and I'm hoping this is simply because nothing's really secured in place properly. In any case, it's something I'll have to pay attention to when time comes.

Still a bit of work to do though before I can get to this stage for real. The rear prop shaft, bulkhead and radiator ducting needs to be assembled and installed, along with the forward firewall and forward gun platform. I'm still only at the top of page 2 of the instructions!

Thanks as always for checking in fellas.

Kev

Thanks Alain and Nicolas. I'm enjoying this build tremendously. So much so that I'm struggling to tear myself away from it so I can continue with the Ryan! So, here's a very quick update. I've finished painting up the forward firewall:

xqZjEU.jpg

S5ckR7.jpg

Not great photos unfortunately, as they completely fail to capture the nice metallic effect on the cannon and nose gun fittings. I tried hard to make the moulded-in flat curves of solid plastic look like hoses. This is one area of the kit where you would definitely replace the moulded detail if you had the chance or skills. I also grunged up this piece a bit with some Flory Dark Dirt wash, as I figured it wouldn't look right if it was too clean. It's a bit messy in macro like that, but looks OK to the naked eye.

Hopefully some more progress tomorrow!

Kev