Italian Spitfire "the first Diana", Tamiya 1/32 with Zotz deca

Paolomaglio

After the WWII most of the Italian Air Force Wings had to change their emblems to avoid any connection with the Fascist Air Force (Regia Aeronautica). That was the reason for 5°Wing to change from a Winged Roman Sword to a black and white Diana. Spitfire were the first aircraft to receive a small Diana on the tail and a few years ago I convinced Eli to produce decals for one of these machines.

This Spitfire was peculiar since it was modified by Aermacchi to recive 3 cameras on its lower fuselgae: 2 facing downwards and one facing to one side. To install the cameras and remove wet film from them a new door was opened on the right fuselage. This door was the same size and shape of the one that exist on all Spitfire on the left side (to give access to radios, I guess) and actually Aermacchi used one of this last fuselage door coming from another Spitfire to close the newly opened door on this aiframe. There are only two, poor quality, black and white photos of this Spitfire and in one of these the newly opened door show some partial circles that looks like a partial roundel, that is why I used a partial RAF roundel to covered that door. That was just my interpretation of the above mentioned photo but a famous Italian aviation hystorian told me my kit is coherent with his reasearch and available photos.

2pzww0x.jpg

23lclef.jpg

WOW...

I Like this one, when i see this and other ones, I Got To Build A Spit, never done that before....

This is nice weathered, ballanced, well built....this one scores from me High Numbers when im eyeballing it all.....

This one deserves a centerplace in your collection, it would if it were mine...

/Mal