Tamiya 1/32 Early P-51D "Lou IV" finished 07-09-15

MustangManiac

Hi guys and gals,

I'm close to painting the D-day stripes on her but I've never done this on any of my P-51s, they just didn't need them. OK I need someone else's knowledge here as far as the positioning of the stripes. Here's what I know:

Each stripe was supposed to measure 18 inches wide, thus being 18/32" in this scale for each stripe.

There is five stripes, three white and two black.

There was supposed to be 6 inches between the stripes and the Insignia.

Where I'm hung up is I know there has to be a definite measurement as to the placement of the insignia itself, I'm just not finding it. I'm trying to just paint the D-day stripes for the moment and see how they turn out. Then if that goes well I may try painting the insignia too, I just need to know I'm going to leave myself enough space for the insignia afterwards.

Am I better off to use some other measurement from a particular panel line that meets with the wing root fillet as a starting point for the stripes?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brady

Hello everyone,

I've gotten some more progress to show you for this build. I've gotten the propeller completed and glued together along with putting her on her legs. I intentionally haven't attached the gear doors to the legs, I think this will just be an easier way to paint the invasion stripes on them. That and not get overspray on something that doesn't get white or black paint.

IMG_20150402_112709_997_zpsdzlupaym.jpg

IMG_20150402_112734_124_zpsmcp1t9uc.jpg

IMG_20150402_112835_071_zpsgwxdssy8.jpg

IMG_20150402_113226_999_zpszscuv01i.jpg

One of our fellow LSP members, sluggo, has been generous and offered to help me make a set of masks for Lou IV for a more realistic look than using decals, so I've been working with him (he's done all the work) on these recently so we can have a more realistic looking bird in the end. When we're done with the masks I'll be ready for more painting.

Cheers,

Brady

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the kind words and checking in on my build.

I am curious if you may know a good way of locating the insignia by panel lines or measurement from a particular one like I asked earlier on when I posted my question on the D-day markings and their locations. I've found the dimensions of the D-day and insignia markings themselves and distance between the markings, just not a point to begin from, from one end or the other to know I'm really in the right place.

Thanks again for the complements.

Brady

Brady,

I don't usually post unfinished work but to give you an idea of how I'm laying this out for you I will do so here.

The set I'm preparing for you will line up to existing panel lines on the kit. Alignment should be pretty fool proof but will require some patience.

lou430001.jpg

Edited by sluggo

Lovely work the both of you!  Im a huge fan of paint masks where and when I can use them. Sometimes I like decals (say like Wnw/Cartograf stuff)  and sometimes with say certain artwork, you cant really use them, but when and where I can use them I do.

Now that Ian and Ad Astra (my old favorite paint mask source as he also used my favorite masking material) are for all intents and purposes defunct, looks like Ill be going to Randy for all my future mask needs, as those really do look tremendous.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I know it's been a little while since my last post, but I've been working with Randy to make the masking set for Lou IV. I received them from Randy in the mail this weekend and they are awesome. I'm now in the process of placing my masking set on the bird for painting. Then it will be time to add the general decals of stencils and try and decide what I want to build next out of all the stuff on my "still to build" list. After I get some positioned I'll take a few pictures as a pre-paint look at the way things look.

Cheers,

Brady