Tamiya 1/32 Early P-51D "Lou IV" finished 07-09-15

MustangManiac

You're doing way better than I expected to be honest. That's a pretty complicated set for a first timer. It's obviously "clicked" in your mind how and why it's laid out like it is. 

You are no doubt going to knock the cover off of this paint job. Can't wait to see it come together.

Edited by sluggo

Thank you very much Randy. I'm glad I can be of good demonstration of your talents too. I couldn't paint this Mustang this way without you sharing your talents of making the masks, so Thanks again. I've gotta say this set has been a lesson in patience in many ways but there's no turning back now if I've messed up somewhere and just don't realize it yet.

I'm thinking I'll paint the black of the ID letters and the D-day bands next so it all can be covered up and the greens can be applied then. I'm also glad that I hadn't glued the wings on this plane yet, I think it makes for easier handling for positioning the masks in the beginning. It also will help prevent getting colors that don't go on the wings at all on the wings in the end.

Cheers,

Brady

Looks great!   Randy offers a great product and is definitely willing to provide personal service to go along with it.    Im definitely a satisfied customer and will be buying MANY more sets from him to come..............

StencilPal;  HIGHLY recommended!

Edited by Out2gtcha

I'm thinking I'll paint the black of the ID letters and the D-day bands next so it all can be covered up and the greens can be applied then. 

Good call! 

Are you going to paint LouIV and Athelene?

I think I'm just going to use the decals I bought for Lou IV and Athelene. I mainly am going to do this because I painted the yellow diagonal line on the side of the cowl based on the dimensions of the decals. I'm not saying that you by any means did a bad job creating the names, if it's any different at all. Athelene though I'm afraid was originally painted with such thin letters it may be a real pain in the behind to paint.

Cheers,

Brady

Hello everybody,

I'm back with some more progress. I got the blue of the insignias covered back up and the D-day stripes in place today before work. So I painted the black where it was needed still.

IMG_20150505_210452_741_zps6umcyfmo.jpg

IMG_20150505_210420_655_zpscmgrxspy.jpg

IMG_20150505_210404_417_zpslwdepj3k.jpg

The only place I realize now that I forgot to paint black was the stripe on the bottom of the elevators. Oh well I was short on time tonight anyway.

Enjoy!

Brady

Hello everyone,

I got quite a bit more painted this morning before going to sleep after work. I started with Tamiya Olive drab on the wings and the wing fillets and used up what I thought at the time was all the Olive Drab paint I had on hand and found it a good stopping point even though I didn't get all the vertical of the tail done yet. Later today after I woke up I found more olive drab paint....lol. Here's what she looks like now:

IMG_20150506_165113_133_zpskcshljlh.jpg

IMG_20150506_165005_358_zpsa1khmymh.jpg

These two are for you Harv...lol. I had to take the masks off the bottom of the wings to be able to paint the leading edge of the wings evenly the same all the way across.

IMG_20150506_164231_404_zps3i4i3cfv.jpg

Wing tanks dry fitted

IMG_20150506_164141_118_zpsqsdqhnns.jpg

I hope to get more done soon so we all can see how I did on all of it.

Cheers,

Brady

Well well, well Brady. Very well done. So far its looking incredable. Great masks and painting. And thanks for sharing with us (me)........Harv :popcorn:

Thanks for all the complements guys.

I hope to get more painted and completed after I get home from work this morning.

Randy, I found a place where some editing needs to be done we both missed something in our emails on the making of the masks. It's a few pretty simple things that need to take place around the letter C on the port side for it to be more accurate to the real thing. I'll email you later with more specifics of what I'm changing slightly.

Cheers,

Brady

SNIP

Tell me your opinions on colors please.

Thanks in advance,

Brady

I always leaned toward the dark blue and did mine that way.

USAP-51-D01_zps87839385.jpg

I was talking to Dana Bell at the Fairfax IPMS show, and he said there was pretty solid evidence,

both period observer's comments and from examining original film, that Lou IV was dark blue.

USAP-51-D02_zpsbc3d8d9f.jpg

I'm not fanatical about a choice between dark green and dark blue, (tho' I obviously think blue is correct),

but Dana and I both agreed that Lou IV is definitely NOT olive drab.

Mike