Tamiya 1/32 Early P-51D "Lou IV" finished 07-09-15

MustangManiac

Guest Peterpools

Brady

Very nice work on your 'stang and looking forward to the NMF work. I've built three so far and on  one did the same. I drilled out the holes for the drop tanks after I realized my goof as well, but that was after the NMF was done and decals on.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to make this goof. I've test fitted the pylons and I wasn't far off on my original holes on the one and managed to get the second one right out of the chute, so to say. I've done some more work this weekend but I haven't taken pictures yet, sorry.

Thanks again,

Brady

Hello everyone,

I got some progress done this weekend and broke parts today. So I contacted Tamiya for the parts for a new gear strut and they're going to send them to me, since I snapped mine in two for the right hand side. I completed the gear doors in the closed position and the radiator air scoop. I was also working on the landing gear until I broke the one strut trying to put the first half of the wheel on. Which tires would you guys guess I've used in these pictures?

IMG_20150302_131407_885_zps0zvlfwle.jpg

IMG_20150302_124930_789_zpsybpsr1ba.jpg

IMG_20150302_124909_604_zpssek2h05y.jpg

IMG_20150302_124824_989_zpsivdtdxij.jpg

IMG_20150302_124800_028_zpsxkg53rjb.jpg

That's where I am for now.

Enjoy!

Brady

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm back with some more progress. I first accomplished the masking and painting of the interior of the canopy. I used some of Tamiya's masks and tape for the inside of the canopy and windscreen and MicroMask liquid mask for the outside.

IMG_20150310_132440_549_zps6nnngjpr.jpg

Then I moved on to prime the whole plane for an Alclad finish.

IMG_20150311_125919_742_zps9ctiygod.jpg

Then on to the Airframe aluminum finish.

IMG_20150312_124241_787_zpsdpdehdeg.jpg

IMG_20150312_124348_377_zps64hmajlq.jpg

IMG_20150313_133545_415_zpsvzkpspbd.jpg

IMG_20150313_133616_075_zpskvbcysyz.jpg

I got started painting and I couldn't stop....lol. I do think I'll probably be doing this build as Lou IV now that I've seen a few goofs in my Alclad finish that would be covered by paint of the yellow nose, OD green wings or the D-day stripes on Lou IV that I don't get to cover with the sharkmouth. I got my second gear leg replacement parts yesterday so I'll be putting her on her feet soon. Enjoy and happy modeling to you all!

Cheers,

Brady

Than you Kev!

I'm now trying to decipher a few things on Lou IV's color scheme, and no it's not whether or not to use blue or green for the upper surfaces, I'm going with green. What I'm trying to figure out is if Lou IV had yellow gun fairings like her sister ship E2-S clearly did. I'm only wondering this because of them being lighter in color here in this shot:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/spzabt/5583683315/

I'm leaning more towards no they were not yellow, but I'm not sure yet.

Secondly, I'm also trying to figure out if the center D-day stripe that should be white was actually natural metal. It sure appears that way to me and it's stated as being darker in color even in my decal instructions.

lou2_zpsd9bf8496.png

A zoomed in shot of the trailing edge of Lou's wing

lou2zoom_zps559aece1.png

Fully banking

LouChristian.jpg

Tell me your opinions on colors please.

Thanks in advance,

Brady

Oh, one question that may seem dumb but the dumb question is the one you don't ask. So here it goes, what actual measurement will I want to use for 1/32,scale D-day stripes here?

Also are there any good starting locations on the wings themselves to go by on the P-51D to know you're placing theater bands and/or D-day stripes in the right place on the wings and horizontals?

Thanks again,

Brafy

Guest Peterpools

Brady

Fantastic progress on your 'stang as the NMF looks wonderful on my end. Glad the Folks at Tamiya came to the rescue - just the best customer service department. ON my three Mustangs so far, I've used both Barracuda and Brasin wheels  and tires - they help take her over the top.

Keep 'em comng

Peter

Brady-

As far as your questions about the colors- It looks to me in various copies of those photos that "Lou's" gun covers were not yellow. They seem to have been camo'd normally. As far as the center invasion stripe, it is hard to tell. It could have been left bare, but it also looks like the stripe could have been severely weathered from jettisoning the tanks numerous times in a row. When the fuel lines severed, there was always fuel spray if anything was left in the tanks......

Food for thought- maybe the center stripe was just extremely filthy...these girls did not get many baths-

Love the work so far-

THOR    :ninja:

THOR,

Thanks for your input, I was thinking the same for her gun covers myself. I guess her center stripe may be good practice for me to do some weathering on her. I haven't done many models with much other than a quick Flory wash to bring out rivet details. I don't think I've done one with exhaust stains and such before though. This build is a first for a few other things for me too, such as painting D-day stripes and a partial camo partial natural metal scheme. By the way what would the measurements of the D-day stripes be for a 1/32 P-51D?

Cheers,

Brady

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm back with some more progress on my build. I first made a paper copy of my decals so I could cut out the markings for reference as to where to tape off the cowling panels for painting the yellow nose which resulted as this:

IMG_20150324_101533_812_zpsty3lzaa0.jpg

And this:

IMG_20150324_101906_517_zps7slk252c.jpg

These are just paper so don't freak if they don't look exactly perfect, they both wanted to curl a bit when I took the pictures.

Here's some shots of the whole thing as of now:

IMG_20150324_103052_605_zpsnnnn21e0.jpg

IMG_20150324_103140_419_zps0lfrmtaz.jpg

IMG_20150324_103243_114_zpsyuu0rl6a.jpg

And one with the spinner:

IMG_20150324_103441_672_zpsenlbdzax.jpg

That's where we are for now, I'm almost done with the landing gear now that I've received the replacement parts from Tamiya. So she should be standing on her own legs soon.

Cheers,

Brady