ICM 1/48 Spitfire IX

LSP_Kevin

I'm with you, Kevin.  Patchwork could have been more refined, less pillowy. But I like the textured look, and what you've done.  It adds a lot of visual interest to the surface.  I understand the black base, but it's too influential for me.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks, Mark. The more I work on it, the better it looks, but I definitely need to refine my technique with this 'black basing' approach. I'm looking forward to seeing Matt's video on it when it's ready. I've got a great pile of 1/48 kits I can practice on, so I can keep going until I feel I'm either satisfied, or it's not for me.

Kev

Hey Kev, thought that occurred to me re the black basing ... black is only one way of doing it, you can apply similar techniques over a bunch of different colours. I didn't document it for my tomcat build, but my base colour was a mix of dark blue-grey, tan, tire black and mahogany. I then did the "scribbling" thing over this base with a very fine airbrush, adding multiple layers. The mix of underlying colours makes the "pillowy" look not so obvious (given that the contrast is less), and also adds a bit of tonal variety (as there are multiple colours peeking through). With a bit of research you can tailor your undercoat to the staining pattern you see in reference photos.

That's not to knock black basing, if you see what the good operators (like Matt) can do it's a fair sight better than anything I can manage. So, just my $0.02.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude

Thanks for the suggestions, Jim. Still early days with this technique, for me, and regaining some lost control over my airbrush will definitely help. After I changed compressors early in 2015, I've never really readjusted my close technique to suit.

Anyway, all the decals are now on, and the final gloss coats done:

idRXJ2.jpg

Seeing another one of Matt's posts about getting a good gloss coat reminded me of what I was doing wrong here. When I switched, as he suggests, to thinning Tamiya X-22 with Mr. Color Thinner, the result was much better. I also added his suggested flash coat at the end, though I can't really be sure it made any difference.

The other thing I remembered that I forgot to do, was add a couple of drops of X-22 Clear Gloss to the upper surface colours. The Tamiya XF acrylic colours are almost too flat, and go down a bit chalky. This makes them difficult to deal with later when trying to achieve a good gloss clear coat over them. Adding a couple of drops of clear gloss to them helps this enormously. But, of course, I forgot to do it.

On to the weathering stages next.

Kev

Thanks, Dan. I'm actually planning to weather this one more heavily than I normally do, as I'd like to expand my weathering techniques and broaden my finishing options, and builds like this one make for perfect test subjects.

Kev

Your Spitfire looks fine to me Kev. I think there's a nice tonal variety in it.

The other thing I remembered that I forgot to do, was add a couple of drops of X-22 Clear Gloss to the upper surface colours. The Tamiya XF acrylic colours are almost too flat, and go down a bit chalky. This makes them difficult to deal with later when trying to achieve a good gloss clear coat over them. Adding a couple of drops of clear gloss to them helps this enormously.

Kev

I've found that the type of thinner you use can affect how flat a finish you get with the Tamiya XF paints. When I use their lacquer thinner (the one with the yellow cap), I seem to end up with a satin finish. It's not quite semi gloss but certainly not flat either. If I use X20A acryy thinner, then I end up with a much flatter finish.

Carl

Looking really good, Kev!

I like using Tamiya's lacquer thinner in the yellow capped bottles. Seems to put the Tamiya acrylics on nice and smooth. Not a bad idea to add some gloss, though, to give more of a satin sheen.]

Carl beat me to it!

If I use X20A acryy thinner, then I end up with a much flatter finish.

Yeah, that's my experience too, Carl. Sometimes I like to use it, though, as when it's really hot here during the Australian summer, the extra drying time it affords can be helpful. That's what I used in this case, but forgot to add the clear gloss to the mix. Lesson learned. Again! I like the result better with Mr. Color Thinner anyway, so I think I'll try to use that most times now.

Kev

Looking really good, Kev!

I like using Tamiya's lacquer thinner in the yellow capped bottles. Seems to put the Tamiya acrylics on nice and smooth. Not a bad idea to add some gloss, though, to give more of a satin sheen.]

Carl beat me to it!

Thanks, Ray. Adding a small amount of clear gloss really helps avoid that chalky look that Tamiya's XF paints tend to have after they go on. As I said above, though, I reckon I'll go back to thinning them with Mr. Color Thinner from now on (which is essentially the same stuff as Tamiya's yellow-cap thinner, I'm led to believe).

Kev

Yeah, that's my experience too, Carl. Sometimes I like to use it, though, as when it's really hot here during the Australian summer, the extra drying time it affords can be helpful. That's what I used in this case, but forgot to add the clear gloss to the mix. Lesson learned. Again! I like the result better with Mr. Color Thinner anyway, so I think I'll try to use that most times now.

Kev

Kev, Tamiya also make a paint retarder. I've only tried it for brush painting but it seems to create a glossier finish as well. I might have to try it when airbrushing and see what happens.

As for Mr Color thinner, the levelling one is great and is what I use on my Gunze paints. Don't try it with Xtracrylix though. Makes a goopy mess.

Carl

Mr. Retarder ( I know stupid name ) from Mr. colour works much the same and is what I use, though I'd bet that's what is mixed in with the thinners in the self levelling thinner.

Dan

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case, Dan. I've tended to by the non-levelling stuff, but mostly just out of habit more than anything else.

Kev

Okay Kev,  Progress pics. :D

Hope you are having some holiday fun before it gets too hot next week. 

Dan

Soon, Dan! I've done some weathering on the top side (didn't go all that far, in the end), and need to work out my approach for the undersides. In the meantime, I'm working on the landing gear, and taking in some cricket at last. I should have a photo or two to post some time today.

Kev