ICM 1/48 Spitfire IX

LSP_Kevin

So, here are the latest photos. The main painting and weathering is pretty much complete now, and even though I didn't go as heavy with the weathering as I initially intended to, it's still about the most I've ever weathered a model, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Here's the usual overall view of the top side:

OpyNdG.jpg

The main weathering is a combination oil dot filtering, AK Interactive panel line washes, and coloured pencils. Here's a close up that shows a bit of everything:

SONvNK.jpg

It's got just the right amount of gnarly for my liking. I used a heavily diluted mix of black and burnt umber oil paints to create a fuel spill stain around the filler cap:

bIu4be.jpg

I blobbed some around the cap, and then blew it around with my airbrush. I then softened the runs with a cotton bud, as it was looking a little severe.

Here's the underside, which turned out looking much dirtier, due mainly to the lighter single colour:

cenbZn.jpg

And a close up:

tjc8Rz.jpg

While I'm happy enough with it, I'll be the first to admit that I need a lot more practice with this stuff. And I've got plenty of kits to sacrifice to the cause!

Got the main wheels painted, too:

oOSSj5.jpg

These are resin ones from Ultracast, as the kit wheels have horrible sink marks in unfixable places. These, the pilot's seat, and the decals, are the only concession to the aftermarket on this build.

Home stretch now!

Kev

I like the look of that Spit very much Kev, it looks absolutely spot on to my eyes. Thanks also for describing how you did the oil spill on the nose, I aim to do the same since period photographs have revealed this is a regular feature. Top job K1!

Max

I like the look of that Spit very much Kev, it looks absolutely spot on to my eyes. Thanks also for describing how you did the oil spill on the nose, I aim to do the same since period photographs have revealed this is a regular feature. Top job K1!

Max

Thanks, Max! It's far from my best build, and there are a few elements I'm not happy with (some silvering under the decals, panel lines I should have rescribed, etc), but as a painting and weathering exercise, it's serving its purpose well. I must remember to add the exhaust stacks and do the stains.

Kev

Good show, Kevin.

'I'll be the first to admit that I need a lot more practice with this stuff.'

I'm no expert, but I'd still like to make a suggestion.  Rightly or wrongly, you can layer the grime.  The lowest level is the lightest.  20% color, or what you decide.  Somewhat a wash.  Spread over a larger/longer area.  The mid level color is next.  60% color, say.  Spread over a smaller area.  The top level is 100% color used sparingly, but can be used over a long area.  If you look at the oil staining I did in the Hartmann build you will see what I mean by layering.

The 3 densities will add further depth and visual interest.  It's no different than what you've done with the variation of the top coat over black, and using dot filtering, but on a smaller scale.

Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Mark

Well, Maru, you were right! This took slightly longer than I said it would, partly due to having other things to do, and partly due to choosing not to rush it. But, I'm happy to announce that it's now, finally, finished!

5fuJif.jpg

CBc6LB.jpg

WwARyA.jpg

0chk4q.jpg

rb7w6a.jpg

I noticed while taking these photos, that I'd managed to get some clear flat overspray on the windscreen:

Qvnofi.jpg

I've since removed most of this overspray with a cotton bud moistened with Windex. I punched out a small disc of Bare Metal Foil chrome for the pilot's review view mirror.

I also lost the small clear part that goes on the fuselage spine behind the aerial mast, so I made another one from clear sprue:

8WFoFv.jpg

The entire model looks like it's sitting too tall to my eye, and you can see how upright (and long) the landing gear is in the following photo:

H6dWpP.jpg

The other thing you'll notice, which I only noticed myself once I had assembled it, is how oversized the prop blades are. The prop really does need replacing, but obviously it's too late for this build.

Overall though, I'm still pretty happy with the way it turned out. I'm especially happy that I managed to achieve what I had in my mind's eye, weathering-wise. Builds like this are perfect for practicing painting and weathering techniques, and it really doesn't matter that the kit itself is a bit crappy, and that I didn't execute the build as well as I should have. I have the Hasegawa 1/48 kit in the stash, too, and intend to build that one with a fully exposed engine. I just have to decide if I'm willing to tackle the fuselage length issues...

Anyway, thanks one and all for following along, and all your kind comments and encouragement.

Kev

Nice piece, Kevin.  Good show.

'I have the Hasegawa 1/48 kit . . .and intend to build that one with a fully exposed engine.'

The Hasegawa kit comes with an engine?  Or is it aftermarket?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Nice piece, Kevin.  Good show.

'I have the Hasegawa 1/48 kit . . .and intend to build that one with a fully exposed engine.'

The Hasegawa kit comes with an engine?  Or is it aftermarket?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I was generously given the Hasegawa kit as a gift, and inside the box I found an assortment of aftermarket products, including the CMK engine set. Now that I've got one closed-up Mk IX on the shelf, things are set up nicely now for a build with an exposed engine. I figured it will also help to distract from the Hasegawa kit's famously foreshortened rear fuselage. Ironically, I've seen someone graft the rear of the ICM fuselage onto the Hasegawa forward fuselage as a correction, and given that I only paid $3 for this ICM kit, it would have made for a cheap aftermarket upgrade! There are other options (one from Loon Models, and an OOP set from Aeroclub), but I'll have to see what I'm up for when I get there.

Kev

Kev, that really looks good. Just a great overall impression.

Connie and Spit out of the way - what's the next project?

Cheers

Jim

Thanks, Jim. Right now I need to return to my LSP projects - the Corsair, and more urgently, the P-39.

Kev