CF-18 Academy Kit

LSP_Ron

Thanks folks,  no display case I am afraid. I have shelving in my hobby room where I display all my builds. This one will go beside my CF-104, Canadiar Sabre, CF P-51 and three future projects a CF-133, a Harvard and a Tiger Moth (to replace the one that I dropped moving.

Decaling has started. I did the tail planes first as this is a make or break thing for this scheme. Hose them up and I would be on plan B.  They turned out pretty good but took several hours of applying decal set, wait, coax around contours with a tissue, apply more etc.  There are some minor wrinkles that are barely visible but that's the best these will be.

I am now working on the fuse decals. This time consuming, there are a pile of stencils to apply etc.

P8180115_zps8c308560.jpg

P8180113_zps1a09a988.jpg

P8180116_zps96259db5.jpg

Thanks for the comments.  I spent three hours decaling last night and I am only about half done.  The Leading Edge decals are nice and lay down well but I do find some are printed to large for their intended locations.  There is a CF-18 logo on the port nose gear door with the support crews names listed below. That decal is 1/3 larger than the door for some reason. Also, all the stencils under the canopy are too large and cannot be placed in the exact location that the should be.

More pics to come

Thanks,

Here is what I was referring to. This decal is supposed to fit this gear door

P8190121_zps2c45dd96.jpg

And these warning stencils should fit farther forward then I have them but they don't. In this case, I don't think the issue is the decal, I think the kit is wrong. There should be more fuse between the leading edge strake and the canopy sill. See how the strake has a "hump" where the real one does not.

P8190120_zps34b27bea.jpg

CF-18A-425-Sqn-188703-01.jpg

Some more pics, look at the shape of the strake below the canopy area compared to the real thing above. Not even close. This bothers me as it is really noticeable.

P8190125_zpsa6c81a1d.jpg

P8190124_zpscf13c9b3.jpg

Does the kit supply anything for that area Ron? Or is that decal canada specific?

Nice work tho :)

Thanks,

The kit does supply the stencil under the cockpit but its the same size and to dark in tone.  I think the problem in this area is incorrect shape of the leading edge strake.