1/18 Scale P-38 Lightning

JayW

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Jay,

Really, really awesome work you're doing here..... I would love the patience to make those little linkages, even once off, let alone 4 complete sets! I keep looking at everything you've done on this project and have nothing but admiration :) The landing gear alone is epic, besides everything else! I imagine it will be a massive relief to be done with door number 4, so you can have a change of pace and begin work on another part. That is kind of why I like large aircraft; you can work on a whole heap of different parts and each feel like a different model, so you never really get bored, but you're still making progress.

Craig - you have been with me from the beginning.  Gives me extra impetus to get going!  Good luck with the fortress.  Are you posting progress? 

It's been a pleasure to watch this unfold Jay, and thank you! I'll definitely need it with the conversion. I've got a build going; If you've got a few minutes to spare feel free to check it out......

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=54022

Cheers,

Craig

JW

Dude...just beautiful work and execution. The detail on those door assemblies is just over the top. If you stopped working on it right now, it would still be a mamouth accomplisment. My hats off to you Bud...

Geoff

Thanks Geoff - makes me blush....

I am feeling a sense of euphoria at this moment.  The long MLG door project is done!!  Please indulge me while I show a couple of pictures of it (most will think it just looks like the last set of pictures):

001_zpsln8fpiws.jpg

Oh yes - now there are four, and 948 pieces have been fabbed, assemblied, and installed.  Another:

002_zps00lbrobh.jpg

Lucky Lady looks a bit more complete:

003_zps0d1xmw1e.jpg

004_zpsqrb9ez8f.jpg

005_zpssxx00hx5.jpg

So next are the bomb pylons and the drop tanks.  I noticed a week or so ago that the slots in the wing for the pylons are mislocated enough that I have to do something about it.  This picture shows it (I drew a couple of lines where they need to be:

007_zpsyp7stabi.jpg

I tell y'all - I wish I had seen that when I was doing the lower wings.  I now have to cover those slots with something and paint it up so as not to be too nasty looking, and so as not to break all that fragile stuff right next to them.

The pylons themselves, and the tanks, need work.  I will be doing some of that work over the holidays. 

008_zpscuafk1wh.jpg

Have a great Christmas everyone; thanks for looking in!

• 2 weeks later...

OK let's take a look at the external tanks (150 gallon).  The pylons were just pieces of a toy and i had to do something.  I added material to both the nose and tail to lengthen them and help some with the airfoil shape.  I think I could have made them from scratch, but they are so hidden beneath the wings I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Here is what they now look like:

002_zpsal0pb095.jpg

The tanks themselves were modified only a little - basically I puttied over the lines that are supposed to be filler caps, and added my own (you may remember them as machinings I made for the wings):

001_zpsszo8nmz7.jpg

The finished tanks:

003_zpsrf7fdtq6.jpg

And installed on the airplane:

004_zpsgq64alam.jpg

What is not shown are the coverings I put into the original slots for the pylons which were too far outboard.  The installed pylons are in the correct location.  I am happy with it.  Tail booms are next, and they will be a real chore.

The booms aft of the wheel well are fairly well shaped in profile, but that's about it.  The panel lines are terrible, the radiator inlets and exhausts are missing much detail, and the fins and rudders have big thickness issues.  Here are some pictures, first the radiator area:

001_zpsczjhhbji.jpg

002_zpsa1zztpli.jpg

And the tail:

003_zpsrmog3ear.jpg

004_zpsgc3trjoz.jpg

005_zpsgxggkir9.jpg

It's level of realism is bottom rate.  Awful.  I think I will start forward and work back.  Only thing is - I don't really have a plan yet.  Stay tuned, and I am more than open for suggestions.

I am really impressed with what you have done.  I used to own one of these 1/18 P-38's and thought about doing it exactly the same way you are but it seemed too overwhelming.  I'm glad you have the guts to push through and make it work. I look forward to watching this project play out.