1/72nd scale DC-10 - tail complete

tomprobert

Not strictly large scale, but 'large' nonetheless...  ;)

Having built Aircraft in Miniature's 1/72nd Boeing 747 a few years back, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience...

IMG_5597.jpg

... I thought I'd have a go at the same company's McDonnell-Douglas DC-10.

These kits are fairly basic with no surface detail to speak of, but you do get pre-cut vacformed parts that still require a little sanding, white metal landing gear, wheels and flap tracks, as well as resin engine fronts and exhaust cones.

Here's what you get 'in the box'... actually it came in a big bag...

Fuselage halves, with a central keel - that is a 12" ruler by the way!

S1030983.jpg

Wings:

S1030985.jpg

Engines, stabilisers, wing box and trunking for the tail mounted engine intake:

S1030988.jpg

White metal parts and resin engine detail parts:

S1030991.jpg

This is an older version of the kit and comes with decals for UTA - they're rather past it though and I'll have to source some alternatives:

S1030996.jpg

The fun will soon begin - I'll be making a start this week...

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Think I will follow along on this one!

I have always wanted a KC-10 in the brighter AF colors

hist144b.jpg

And you never see any DC or KC 10s being built. Im really interested in seeing how one of these comes together in the hands of someone with your vac skills.  :D

Cheers,

Think I will follow along on this one!

I have always wanted a KC-10 in the brighter AF colors

And you never see any DC or KC 10s being built. Im really interested in seeing how one of these comes together in the hands of someone with your vac skills.  :D

Cheers,

Agreed - much better than the grey schemes worn currently. AIM do a conversion set, too...

I've made a start on this project, and have decided to begin with the tail and engine no. 2. This area was troubling me as the kit intake would need some surgery to get it looking respectable.

The first task was to remove the tail from the fuselage - this will make working on it far easier:

S1030998.jpg

S1031000.jpg

One the parts had been sanded and the trailing edges thinned down, removed the exhaust area as this will be detailed sparately later in the build. At this point, I also scribed on the basic panel detail:

S1031012.jpg

On the real aircraft, the centre engine sits deep in the cowling, far deeper than the kit supplied part allows:

S1031024.jpg

S1031020.jpg

This simply wouldn't look right for the DC-10, so something had to be done!

A trip to the hardware shop later, with the resin engine front in my pocket to check the diameter, and...

S1033875.jpg

S1031003.jpg

The intake ring was removed from the front of the kit engine front, and the basics of the fan painted:

S1031004.jpg

This was then attached to the piping, which was cut to the correct length, and placed in the nacelle:

S1031009.jpg

Now I need to secure everything in place and join the tail halves.

Looking better already!

Tom

S1033888.jpg

S1033886.jpg

Looks fab Tom!

Question though..............it does seem odd that the engine is set SO far back................it looks like (and im obviously wrong here) the engine face is set SO far back in the housing that there wouldn't actually be any room for the whole engine?

Was that No 2 engine smaller/shorter, or is it just an optical allusion?

Edited by Out2gtcha

Looks fab Tom!

Question though..............it does seem odd that the engine is set SO far back................it looks like (and im obviously wrong here) the engine face is set SO far back in the housing that there wouldn't actually be any room for the whole engine?

Was that No 2 engine smaller/shorter, or is it just an optical allusion?

The engine was 'as standard' in the tail, but it did sit a long way inside the nacelle. I think it might be the angle of the picture that's playing tricks; I followed pictures and diagrams of the real thing as best I could so I don't think I'm far off.

This picture (used for illustrative purposes only) shows what I mean:

l2_v340160_958_480_719-2.jpg

Tom

The engine was 'as standard' in the tail, but it did sit a long way inside the nacelle. I think it might be the angle of the picture that's playing tricks; I followed pictures and diagrams of the real thing as best I could so I don't think I'm far off.

This picture (used for illustrative purposes only) shows what I mean:

l2_v340160_958_480_719-2.jpg

Tom

Kewl that does explain a lot. Seems the engine shroud is just that long, and the engine itself not really as long as I expected.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
On 1/27/2016 at 12:29 PM, Radders said:

Any more updates on this Tom, I totally forgot about it!

Looking at buying one this year, got some nice fire bomber decals now ;)

Just stumbled across this thread, and was wondering the same thing!

Kev

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Just stumbled across this thread, and was wondering the same thing!

Kev

Wow, this is a blast from the past. I still have this in storage in the loft and had got as far as starting to scribe the fuselage but then ran out of steam. 

I am getting back into airliners so may well drag this out again one day…

Tom