RLM 77

Hardcore

RLM 77 Hellgrau  light gray  Was mainly used for Night Fighter numbers and letters  Info From Eagle Editions

Tamiya XF-19 Sky Gray is close,   Testors Model Master Acrylic 4787 is RLM 77,   also given FS:36493  for it. http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=36493

I hope this may help Hard core

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

As far as I know there's no official swatch for RLM77 ever found. I don't believe the theory that it was developed for use on markigns on nightfighters. So many other colors could have worked for that there'd be no reason to develop a new one.

The main purpose seems to have been for high altitude fighters like the light grey Bf109G-6/AS. Dave E Brown ha a theory that RLM 77 was used in combination with 75 for a lighter version of the 74/75 pattern on fighters. I think I agree but as with everything else WWII Luftwaffe color, it's hard to be certain.

Anyway, Vallejos suggestion for Medium Sea Grey is close to the swatch in Ken Merrick's Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings.

/Anders

Edited by Cpt_Farrel

Much appreciated! I .can easily get tamiya paint and I will one day try out vallejo so those suggestions are welcome. I have that tamiya K-4 in the stash, maybe I should give it another paint scheme than i had planned now that it seem easy to get the right color. MMPs book may have errors but it is great inspiration.

I just googled that color and the models that showed up showed a grey that looks too bright in my opinion. There's many ideas about the actual appearance of RLM 77 though so for some of the lighter interpretations it could be right. 77 should produce a visible contrast with 76 and I don't think H311 would do that.

I just compared my Spitfire VII painted in Xtrcrylix Medium Sea Grey with the colorchip from Merrick and it's quite a match. The Xtracrylix MSG is slightly too dark but with a few drops of white it would be spot on. So perhaps Gunze MSG could be something to try? Just a thought...

/Anders

RLM 77 seems to be some Gernan primer in ww2.

Dont you mean RLM99 instead?

RLM99 was not a real color but an identification for a protection varnish, that must have been clear enough to read the manufacturer stamps on the aluminium sheet.

• 3 years later...