Kittyhawk 1/32 T-6G Texan

LSP_Kevin

Kev,

First off, if you want to try the scheme again, I will gladly send you my decals (minus the stencils and dials).  For the next, try very warm water (almost hot), dip the decals and place on a paper towel to watch them curl (as the paper absorbs water and expands) then flatten out (as the adhesive becomes wet and releases form the paper).  Slide decal into position (which only has water or Micro-Set (any setting solution actually)).  After it is in place, then (and only then) use Micro-Sol (which is a solvent).

Regards,

Why not mask the stars and stripes K1?

Im not sure about in Aus, but in the US (or I guess on the interwebs) you can find little star stickers............Paint the whole thing white, put on the stars where you want, and mask off the white stripes, shoot the red, let dry, move on to the blue ect ect

Thanks for the feedback fellas. It was in fact MicroSet I used - just a small brain fart there in the original description. Thanks for the suggestion on the stars Brian, but in truth I don't even have the time to go look for such a thing, let alone the patience to give it a try. In my experience, warm/hot water tends to make decals quite elastic, which can make placing large ones a little traumatic, so I went with room-temperature water for these ones. I guess I should test a decal I'm not going to use with warm/hot water on a test model.

Kev

On 3/3/2014 at 7:29 AM, sharkmouth said:

Well, I thought you wanted that NMF! :innocent:

I will still offer the decals.

Regards,

Thanks for the offer Saúl, it's much appreciated. But at this stage I think going with the NMF would be courting disaster. If I change my mind, I'll let you know!

On 3/3/2014 at 7:52 AM, Kagemusha said:

Tigger has already finished the kit using its decals.

Yeah, I was hoping to hear from either John or Nic regarding their experiences with the kit decals, as no one has mentioned any problems so far. I'm hoping the smaller decals are more manageable. I'm wondering if I might have a sheet that didn't print properly, or perhaps my technique is at fault. It's worth noting that there are two large decal sheets in the kit, and they each appear to be printed or produced differently. Only the highly-coloured one has the clear plastic protection, and seems more glossy than the other sheet. I'm certainly willing to concede that these are problems of my own making.

Kev

Kev, did you lay them onto mircosol or lay then than add microsol?  When I decaled the Corsair with Ealgecal decals I found they reacted very quickly to microsol sticking them in place almost immediately and not allowing you to properly position the decal. I ended up laying them on clean water first then added microsol after they were in place

KEV, I had problems installing the wheel bay interior parts so I trimmed all of the locators off and that seemed to solve the problem. May also be why mine fits better than your does? I did not have the issue you have had as pictured here.

PS You are welcome to my decals as well. I am converting mine into a Hollywood Zero so will not use any of them. Grey primer with a black cowling ,so easy even a Cave Man could do it.

Mike

Edited by Lone Star Models

Kev, did you lay them onto mircosol or lay then than add microsol?  When I decaled the Corsair with Ealgecal decals I found they reacted very quickly to microsol sticking them in place almost immediately and not allowing you to properly position the decal. I ended up laying them on clean water first then added microsol after they were in place

That was just a typo on my part Ron. No MicroSol was involved at all. I painted on a layer of MicroSet before application. Next time I'll try warm water without any chemical additives. One thing I really like about the kit decals though is that they go on like paint if you can get them there at all. I had a heck of a time removing the cowl decal due to how snug it was in some areas! Tape was ineffective, and I ended up sanding the last of it off.

Kev

KEV, I had problems installing the wheel bay interior parts so I trimmed all of the locators off and that seemed to solve the problem. May also be why mine fits better than your does? I did not have the issue you have had as pictured here.

PS You are welcome to my decals as well. I am converting mine into a Hollywood Zero so will not use any of them. Grey primer with a black cowling ,so easy even a Cave Man could do it.

Mike

Thanks Mike, you could be right. And thanks for the offer of the decals too. I think my issue with the fit here was partly due to not being able to clamp all sides in place effectively, and I probably should have glued the front section first, clamping it into position and letting it cure before proceeding along the wing roots to the rear. Test fitting showed that if I pushed the wing roots in from the sides, they would actually fit together properly in the wheel bays. My mistake I think was to try to fit and glue the whole wing centre section at once, thereby forfeiting any real control over the final fit.

Kev

That was just a typo on my part Ron. No MicroSol was involved at all. I painted on a layer of MicroSet before application. Next time I'll try warm water without any chemical additives. One thing I really like about the kit decals though is that they go on like paint if you can get them there at all. I had a heck of a time removing the cowl decal due to how snug it was in some areas! Tape was ineffective, and I ended up sanding the last of it off.

Kev

Actually my typo Kev. I meant Microset also, that is what I had problems with, not sol

Actually my typo Kev. I meant Microset also, that is what I had problems with, not sol

Ah, gotcha. I agree with your basic premise though - instead of acting as a wetting agent to aid moving the decal around, the MicroSet might actually have caused the decal to grab and stick. I'll give it a miss for round 2.

So what do you think, folks - should I take up the generous offers here and (attempt to) stick with my original choice of scheme, or continue with my change of course?

I await your input!

Kev