Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair ... with Extras

Loic

Well, Loic's instructions have been officially approved  :punk:

We are taking pre-orders for the kit, it will be priced around £20.00 + p&p (+ V.A.T where applicable :( )

Many thanks to Loic for providing this stunning Pattern for us.

Email tim@greymatterfigures.com to pre-order, this is not a commitment to buy, just so we can judge how many moulds to get ready.

All The Best,

Tim

Fantastic work of this superbe upgrade.

I have seriously been thinking about scratchbuilding a Vickers Wellington a short while back ... :mental:

That would be a hudge lot of resin !

I'm waiting for injection kit to cut all structure of fuselage, wings and stabilizers.

Good luck in new project.

Tomasz

Thanks a lot once again  guys   :rolleyes:

Alan,

what you see on the lastest pics actually is the resin kit first run :coolio:

Also, I must say that following first "advertising publication" here and there, we have had information from someone (who is what I would call an expert on Corsairs) indicating we will certainly have to add an extra part in the kit. 

I am waiting for intel from this (kind and helpfull) person to evaluate the possibility to add this extra bit that would make the kit even better and more accurate ;)

I'll let you guys know more when I have everything in hand but that may mean an exra few days delay... which I think is OK as it would make the final product better :thumbsup:

All right guys, I have bad news for those (if any) who were expecting this kit to be released very soon (including myself)...

As I already said above, I was told about a few issues on the kit and the person who told me is someone who knows very well the subject. Not only this person pointed the issues but also provided me with a load of intel (pics / drawings / etc...) to help me fix the issues (I wish I had those before !!).

Biggest problem is the oïl tank (the big tank that fits on the fire wall/ bulkhead). The one that I reproduced (26 gal) is not correct for birdcage and was introduced on later marks only. Birdcage had a much smaller and less complicated 20 gal tank.

Also, this oïl tank was protected by an armor plate of a different kind compared to the one I reproduced... and  the hydrolic fluid tank was slightly different too.

The actual parts in the kit would match for later Corsairs and will be saved/used if/when Tamiya releases a F4U-1D for example (I can not see any reason why they would not do release one someday).

I have been working from restaured aircrafts data and have make some wrong assesment. We have discussed the point with Tim and it was not long before we decided to update the kit despite the delay. I think most people would have never noticed the differences but we want to propose you an accurate kit (as much as can be at least).

Hope you guys understand. I'll get back to the workbench ASAP and we will try to propose the new parts in a couple of weeks or so.

I'll keep you guys updated with the progress ;)

Edited by Loic

Hi guys,

it's been a few days since last update and I have managed to almost complete the new "older" oil tank.

I can not share ref pics as they are ment to be available in a new Corsair book that is due in a while but here is the result.

20gal tank is basicly very similar to 26gal tank which was a 20gal with "extentions" on each sides.

I started from various rods for basic shape

DSC03290_zps37735155.jpg

Then rounded the edges

DSC03291_zpsfc7e77e7.jpg

And add a few stripes around it

DSC03292_zps6416d4e8.jpg

DSC03294_zps9b41b6e6.jpg

Then detailling bits and pieces

DSC03314_zps9feadd30.jpg

DSC03313_zps105b461d.jpg

And this is the part in situation on the firewall / bulkhead

DSC03316_zps6e17e134.jpg

Finally, side by side, 26gal on the let and new 20gal on the right

DSC03315_zps5bd24f15.jpg

Hope you guys like it. I really think it makes a difference in term of accuracy for the kit so that was worth the delay me think.

Now, time to rework the hydrolic fluid tank and armor plate...

Edited by Loic