Modeling for fun?

ssculptor

I've never struck the problem of modelling not being fun. Sport on the other hand, well sometimes I question why on earth I torture myself doing such things. Two weeks ago I was crippled with cramp and muscle soreness, but the pay off was I did rather well. Today I got smashed in the foot which is now swollen, 2 toes are turning purple and to add insult to injury I got middle stump knocked out of the ground 2 overs later. Yeh, remind me why I play cricket again.....

Because you feel so good when you stop? :shrug:

Sorry but I could not resist. I used to buy old cars for $500-$600 each and spend every other weekend under them trying to keep them running for the next week. I would get out from under the car filthy, covered in oil, grit, dirt, all achy and sore. I would look longingly at the unoccupied hammock in the yard. Now I buy a used car that is only a few years old and never even change the oil - I have the mechanic do that. I have better things not to do.

Stephen

I've got to the point in my life that I find I must take one day a week totally off. Usually on a Saturday I will do nothing at all except for perhaps lying on a hammock or the couch and reading a novel of some type. Then I take a nap from such heavy labor. Then I get up and eat. Then lie down and take another nap. If something is good on the TV maybe I'll watch that. Then lie outside on the hammock again and watch the birds making dive bomber runs on me as if they are SBD's and I am the the Akagi at Midway. 

Eventually I'll have to get up, change my clothes, have supper and go to bed early because I am so tired from all my efforts all day.

Back in the 1940's there was a song that went thusly:

"I am living the life of Riley,

living the whole day through.

Trying to find lots of things not to do...."

On this day I do not drink anything alcoholic, I do not think beyond the IQ of 40, I totally veg out. No fixing cars, no exercise, no cleaning anything, no making anything.  Booze of any type puts me right to sleep so I avoid it as I do not want to miss doing nothing.

The next day I get back to work making things, working, thinking, worrying, doing chores, whatever. Thus I am busy 6 days a week and I do nothing the seventh. Its a hard life but someone has to do it.

Stephen, Master of indolence.

Guest Peterpools

I've posted my thoughts earlier and read everyone's comments, ideas and philosophies. Guess what; we are all right. It's a hobby and each to his own, as we all have different needs, wants and desires. The important point, each of us discovers what our true passions are and what brings us joy and satisfaction. It's too easy to get caught up in the moment and do I know. I start out a project with specific goals and it normally doesn't take much to get sidetracked on a different path. At my tender age of 66, I've come to understand what my passions for the hobby really are and what keeps me at the bench. I've discovered there is a world beyond 32nd scale aircraft and when the calling is heard to take a different road for a while, it's time to take the other other road. For me, it's a much needed change of scenery. And of course, we can actually do both.

To detail or not, to correct a kit or not, to enhance a kit or not, to go OOB or not, the research or not, to build for contests or not; these are individual choices each of us makes. as we start each kit The answer is simple: it's whatever 'floats your boat' and keeps you enthusiastic about the hobby. Not every build needs to fill the same criteria; just do what and when you want. It's all about fun, relaxation and enjoying one small part of life.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I personally get a lot of joy and have fun accurizing and detailing my models..If I didn't I wouldn't be doing it. Period.

My brothers and I feel that Stephens statements are nothing short of a well camouflaged shot at the Brotherhood.

And so we have chosen to ignore them.

ShirtImages-IBRC-New_zps622401c6.jpg

This months credo...“Pleasure and action make the hours seem short.†T.I.C.

Edited by williamj

I don't think anybody's really saying here that you have to dial back your efforts to keep enjoying the hobby. It's more a matter of working out what approach you enjoy and sticking with it while trying to resist the temptation to do it someone else's way. If you tried the OOB approach and found it unsatisfying, then you know that's not really going to be your approach. Etc...

Kev

Beautiful answers all.  I have to disagree with one thing though.  I honestly do not think that anyone here has taken a shot at the Brotherhood of Rivet Counters.  I certainly haven't and I definitely don't think the rivet counting approach is wrong at all.  If rivet counting is the approach that makes you happy, that feeds your being, you need to follow it to the extent you desire.  It's just that it's not everyone's approach because that doesn't make them happy.  Simple as that.  I believe that Stephen is just stating his own feelings and that applies to himself and no one else.  Heck, all I'm doing here is rephrasing.  Sorry.  

I personally get a lot of joy and have fun accurizing and detailing my models..If I didn't I wouldn't be doing it. Period.

My brothers and I feel that Stephens statements are nothing short of a well camouflaged shot at the Brotherhood.

And so we have chosen to ignore them.

ShirtImages-IBRC-New_zps622401c6.jpg

This months credo...“Pleasure and action make the hours seem short.†T.I.C.

Wrong. I have nothing against rivet counters. It is a legitimate aspect of the hobby and a rivet counter is as justified in pursuing his hobby his way as any of us have to do things our way.

The reason there is some slight animosity is that a few rivet counters think their feces do not stink and the only way to do things is their way. That is inexcusable. These narrow minded schmucks ruin if for all by creating problems where they would not normally exist. There is room for all of us in this hobby.

I remember a post by a  :mental:  who vehemently insisted that his way of building models (every last detail) is the only way. He also mentioned that he worked as a nurse in a mental hospital but I wondered if he were not really an inmate. "No no! Don't put me in that straight jacket. It is the wrong color and the markings are wrong and the shape is off and....

Stephen

Edited by ssculptor