IAF F-16I SUFA UPDATE: 5/17/14: PAINTING AND CAMMO

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Don

Much appreciated. Sure wish Academy would have followed Tamiya's lead -it would have bee a huge time saver and a lot less work for sure.

Peter

Your Sufa is really amazing to look at Peter, Very detailed so many things to see from each angle. Cant wait to see her in paint too!

All the best,

Paul 

Edited by av8shunmodels

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Paul. I'm hoping to pick up a bit more steam the next few weeks so I'll be ready to start my Cougar for the up coming GB by mid May.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Carl and much appreciated. I'm pretty sure it is the Tamiya can that Gary sent me. Comparing it to the Academy can, it's head and tail in a league of it's own. I keep forgetting to take some photos of the inside of the exhaust can, as I tried to follow photos showing various shades of the off white sections and the Eduard compressor screen.

Peter

Thanks Gary, Much appreciated.  Geez, what a great idea of using a heat gun to stretch parts for a better fit - I never even thought of it. Absolutely will give it a shot at the very next opportunity.  On man, what I wouldn't have given to have the wings already attached to the fuselage ala. Tamiya. Absolutely would have save a lot of hours of work and the fit would be perfect.

Thanks again for the help

Peter

One good thing about Academy f-16 Kits is they use a softer Plastic that is easy to mold and shape with a little heat.   Sometimes even just pressure is all that is necessary to reshape a part.

Peter, looks like you've finally gotten it all together. Very smart doing the ordinance now, I always leave the small parts for the end when I lack the motivation to do them.

Really look forward to the priming and paint work. The Israeli paint scheme is certainly iconic and beautiful

Matt  :frantic:

Guest Peterpools

Jeff

Thanks so much.  I've already finished the interior of the P&W can as per photos in both the Sufa book and on-line photos. The interior is a mix of off-whites and one large Eduard PE exhaust compressor fan assembly. I'll try to remember to take a few shots next update. As for the exterior, I'll be using photos from my Sufa book and will try to duplicate the finish with a combination of Alcalds. Should be a fun project all by itself.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt - much appreciated.

Same always happens to me, so I thought it best to build the loadouts and ordinance ahead of time before I run out of steam and enthusiasm.

Right with you on looking forward to the painting stages, especially a chance to do the Israeli AF scheme.

Peter

Hey Peter, does it feel like you're already on the downside of the hump?  :-)

When I get to the point when you can claim the airframe is all put together and you're about to fire up the airbrush "for real" to get primer on, is when i really start to "see light at the end of the tunnel" haha

A big and complex model like this Sufa should must bring this kind of feeling to you too!

Keep on it!

Fab

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Fab

I'm getting real close to crossing over the hump and by next weekend just might be on the downhill side.

Peter

Great looking aircraft, Peter.

I can really appreciate her lines now that she is together... Looking forward to seeing it in primer.

Will you be pre shading before you paint the camo?  And, how do you plan to do the camo?.....freehand, blue tack worms, frisket, something else even better?

Looking forward to you next step.

John

Edited by John F Smith

Guest Peterpools

HI John

Much appreciate the very kind words on the Sufa.

Not a pre-shade guy at all and all the cammo will be free hand; just me and Mr Iwata having a lot of fun.

Been sanding and finishing up the exhaust assembly and trying to get everything ready for priming. Between work now in high gear and a fun trip to the periodontist, not much progress to report, the past few days. :(

Peter