IAF F-16I SUFA UPDATE: 5/17/14: PAINTING AND CAMMO

Guest Peterpools

Hey Peter

Just check'in around and thought if  your SUFA was painted black it would look like a X-15 on STEROIDS.

The Thunderbirds arrived alittle while ago and it made me think you and the SUFA minus a few warts,  THE SUFA   Not You

Your modeling is amazing, but Col. Boyd would roll over in his grave if he saw what thy have done to his airplane.

Look forward to seeing what You and Mr. Iwata can do

Jack

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Jack

I've always been a Viper fan and just love the way she looks but there is just something mean and menacing about the Sufa; almost a bulldog with wings.

Peter

I know you are cranking into your busy season and will model when you can, I hope you can finish the SUFA and join us in

Air War in Vietnam GB. We are running til Dec.31

The XL was my favorite Viper

Course we used to call'em   LAWN DARTS

KEEPIN' an EYE ON YOU

Jack

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Carl

I'm going as fast as these old bones will allow as work in now in high gear and the the old energy is mighty lean at the end of the day. I'll keep plugging along and hopefully, we'll finish together.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Jack

I'll keep plugging away and the two seat Cougar is parked right next to the work bench ready to go when I am able to join in.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

• 2 weeks later...

Cant wait to see her in paint, she sure is a nice thing to look at, purposefull too.... 

I've always been a fan of the Viper, hopefully one day i will build my own.

Nick

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 5/4/14 ALMOST READY FOR MASKING - I HOPE!

While still fighting off the gremlins to start my Cougar, I pushed ahead with finally adding all the lumps, bumps and PE for the Sufa. All that remains before masking is to figure out the weight needed in the nose to keep the Sufa on her Nikes, glue the nose on, do the final light sanding and polishing and it's masking time. Progress has been a lot slower then I thought but work and life has kept me from the bench for most of the week.

I have been amazed at how many small parts needed to be added and the kit's PE is on the thick side and even with annealing, doesn't really want to play. It's all on and done. - thank goodness!

With the GB coming to a close at the end of the month, it's going to be a struggle to cross the finish line in time. Maybe the MODS might look the other way and turn back the hands of time for me. I've start GB's before but never finished and I'm finishing this time, no matter what!

Thanks for checking in

Peter

PCW_0052_zps5e224352.jpg

PCW_0051_zpsdb88b464.jpg

PCW_0055_zps27940a89.jpg

"I've start GB's before but never finished and I'm finishing this time, no matter what!"…….

nice work Peter - but I doubt if I will be able to finish mine!

:goodjob:​  on getting so far…. others have quit on this kit.

Great progress Peter!

The Spitfire is the first GB that I've finished so I hear you.

I've made some process on my F-16 and need to update my build thread on it. Hopefully later today or tomorrow.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Fabian

Much appreciated, as I have been amazed at the amount of work needed to complete all the assemblies, including the after market kits. Hopefully, I'll be masking and priming this weekend.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

S

Thanks for checking in. I'm determined to roll the Sufa out the hanger door close the the GB finish line. So far, she sure has been a challenge but I'm finally starting to feel like I'm gaining the lead.

Air brush time isn't to far away.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Yup, we're in the same GB boat for sure. Looking forward to your Viper update.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

UPDATE 5/17/19: MASKING, PRIMING, PAINTING AND CAMMO

Finally, the painting phase has begun. Since the kit comes with two canopies, the clear canopy was sacrificed and used to mask out the front office, as I did with my three Mustangs a while back. The main gear bay appeared to be a masking job and a half, so I elected to temporally glue the gear doors in place with Micro Kristal Klear and when the painting and decaling are completed, I'll pop the gear doors off, cleaned up any traces of Krystal Klear and walk them through the paint shop. Just seems to be the easiest way to handle the task at hand.

First up was priming and since finishing three Alclad NMF Mustangs, I've fallen into the habit of using the same procedure for surface prep, no matter what the finish is going to be; takes a bit longer but produces consistent results. I work my way through all the grades of wet and dry sandpaper 320-2000 and then finishing off with a 12,000 polishing cloth. I elected to leave the radar nose off and after I reach the point where the Sufa is up on her feet, I'll see if any weight is needed, then add the nose cone. I'm still out to lunch on whether or not to show the radar dish open or closed but I still have some time to decided.

Priming took nearly 2.5 hours and and all the extra prep work paid off, as there was just a spot here and there to touch up and we're ready for the Israeli Cammo.

Since day one, colors have been a huge problem as what is available; close but not on the money. I'm mainly working from the color photos in my Sufa book and trying to match the book's recommended FS numbers. Model Masters FS 33531 worked nicely for the Light Sand. Their FS34337 Pale Green is way to dark and off in color. Reading all I could and lots of color matching, Tamiya Sky looked gorgeous and was was the final choice. Last up was the FS 30219 Dark Tan and Model Masters color is close and I added a bit of red to the mix.

IAF aircraft are meticulously maintained, so my goal was to keep the Sufa clean and lean.

The underside painting with Model Master Gray FS36375 is up for tomorrow. All cammo was done freehand and the pattern as close as I could do. In the end, I wanted the Sufa to blend into the crowd, so I went for colors that looked close to the majority of photos. Time and age seem to be catching up as my once rock steady hand is no more. I've found I now need a brace to lean on to keep the steadiness when shooting with the Iwata.

Looking at the photos, there is a lot of touch up work I need to do in smoothing out the colors and refining the edges

As the Sufa comes together and grows in size, I need to spend some time working on a new photos set up, as big jets need a completlry different photo setup.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

PCW_0056-3_zps6c562ce1.jpg

PCW_0057-4_zps8c33addf.jpg

PCW_0058-4_zps8cc1a023.jpg

Edited by Peterpools