Trumpeter Su-27 Flanker B, Kazakh AF

jgrease

So I received my package of goodies from Hannants yesterday (great customer service- I had emailed that my package seemed to be taking longer than usual, and they reassured me that there were quite a few packages running late because of the holidays, and sure enough it arrived that day!). So now I've got the resin wheels and metal pitot. As soon as the attic warms up, I will post pictures of the new arrivals. I also received a reply from Aires, and a replacement rear deck is on its' way. More to come when the attic temp is over 65F!

The attic won't be warming up anytime today, but I've still managed to do a quick comparison of a couple of replacement items I've purchased. First, the pitot from Master:

52bc8e73607bd525274a2dcc770c7a99.jpg

I can't find the Zactomodels pitot that came with the nose, but it's very fine, like the Master item (which I haven't removed from the package). Here you see the difference between the kit part on top, and the Master pitot. Much finer, and sturdier that the resin one from Zactomodels. For durability and detail, Master wins.

As for the wheels, I hate using the rubber tires that Trumpeter are big on. I ordered the Master Casters' resin replacements because, quite frankly, they're the only game in town:

a4a717ce53a25ac9199659091a9b666b.jpg

Unfortunately, they are basically a copy of the kit rims with "flattened" tires. If they were going to make replacements, at least correct the couple of mistakes that Trumpeter made, but no. Also, no sidewall detail to speak of, which was a very big disappointment. Still, I'll use them because they aren't rubber.

So now I'm just waiting for the replacement rear deck from Aires, and we will move forward. Thanks for looking, and feel free to throw in your two cents as well. I'd really like to hear from others about this kit.

John.

While I wait for the Aires part, I've been working on Dragon's F-6D recon Mustang. I started building it about two years ago, and every time I'd get to some issue with the kit, I'd set it aside. Almost done with it- what a horrible kit! From the instruction sheet to the excess rivets, no redeeming qualities! For a CAD design, the fit of some parts is awful, especially the windscreen. I'll be happy to finish it just to say I did. Ugh.

0dba12543d82234cf6418596f9d4ae07.jpg

Edited by jgrease

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, back to the grind. The good folks at Aires sent me the replacement rear deck (two actually- thanks!), so we are back on track. First things first- I've learned from others that dry fitting is everything, so I did a mockup with the fuselage and cockpit:

4f6856a420b5df2a934dac1321660469.jpg

And:

d71f4d44e1e24c1f4bbffbfa3daf630a.jpg

There's a gap at the rear on both sides which I will have to fill. Also, along both sides but I have to look at the photoetch to see if there's something that goes there. Next, I fitted the Zactomodels nose, and the windscreen:

58c84758a4125d64f580a09bdcca67c4.jpg

931be381412218de933b3b31630ca434.jpg

2eb33037ef662898122e89f02141243e.jpg

A case of good news/bad news. The nose fits really well! Thanks Chris for the great work. The Trumpy canopy, as others have stated, is another kettle of fish. I've spent all the cash available, so I will have to work with it. I'm thinking I'll dip the windscreen in boiling water and spread it a little wider.

And that object in the back is another project I completed while waiting for the part: Swiss Bf-109E:

465f88e0091b13e2ed17c796ea58d5f3.jpg

A question for you all: attaching the cockpit to the fuselage- any suggestions? It's substantial, so should I do an epoxy or just CA? Please leave your comments, suggestions, and critiques. They're all appreciated!

John

Edited by jgrease

Great work John. I too had to find a replacement part from Aires and wasn't sure if they provide such service, but I am glad to say I received my part is great shape. So, 2 thumbs to Aires for looking out for us small time modelers ;)

As for your cockpit question...l like to start with CA (small spots to glue resin pit in place) and follow with epoxy to give a greater bonding to the parts. I have had CA brake with little effort but braking an epoxy bond took some work. Just my preference.

Next step is inserting the cockpit into the upper fuselage half. I tacked the cockpit into the fuselage with some CA, and then I used an instant mix epoxy from Loctite:

03c86fc8e60d2036e76b78be88af0d48.jpg

After playing with the alignment, I finally hit both sides on the inside of the sills with the epoxy (which stinks, not horrible, but enough to say "yuck"). It sets in five minutes and hardens within 24 hours. It's been about eight hours since I applied it and it's already rock hard. So now I hit all of the small gaps around the edges of the cockpit with green putty, and I'll sand it down tomorrow after it dries. Here's where I'm at as of now:

1557fb4404658996ee82d7fa5472822f.jpg

One of the seat placards fell off while I was attaching the cockpit, so I'll fix that after I sand. I'm also working on getting the gear wells painted and detailed. I'm not going crazy with them, just some extra lines inserted and I'm painting everything. If anyone has a clear picture of the nose wheel bay, I'd be appreciative if you could share. I'll post photos when I get them painted and neat. Thanks again for looking.

John

Edited by jgrease

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, sorry for the big delay, but it really had the modeler's version of "writer's block". I found myself just staring at the parts, just kind of moving them around on the table without accomplishing anything. So I finally got my mojo back, and I've been back at the Flanker. Here's the current state of affairs:

581336bb1e7f8ba514e9795214518dc6.jpg

Geez, this thing really is big! I assembled the wings as per the kit instructions, and the flaps went together without issue. This kit uses Trumpeter's tried and true photoetch hinges with metal rods for both the flaps and the leading edge thingys. After assembling the wings, I calmly and patiently attached each wing to the lower fuselage. Sorry I didn't take pics during the process, but I just kept moving things along since it was going so well. After the wings were secured to the lower fuselage, I then began joining the upper fuselage to the lower, trying to glue areas that I wouldn't be able to reach after the halves were connected (mainly the areas around the wing roots). After lining everything up, I installed the three screws (front, center, and tail) and began gluing and clamping along the seam, front to back. When all was said and done, the fit was pretty good, but I had small gaps at the wing joins:

fded747f80a35d3dfedcc5641b5c5000.jpg

This was the gap on the upper left wing- the right one was similar. Not a deal-breaker, just in need of attention. I used Testors grey putty, and since these photos I've sanded the putty down. I've got one more coat to put on it to cover a couple more spots. On the lower wing join, the gaps are almost invisible, so I tried using Mr Dissolved Putty in this area. I've gotta say that I'm really not impressed with this stuff- it seems to shrink a lot regardless of the amount one applies. I'll revisit the lower wings today.

Another issue area is the fuselage sides behind the wings:

5c39e3fe87968edb0d59eb2c7b3248e5.jpg

This is the area behind the left wing. I haven't done anything with the exhaust area yet, but look at the lip on the fuselage! And that's after I wrestled it into place. Some sanding will obviously take place here. Meanwhile, look at the other side:

ad40e4c3a01abe509b9b9fd0e8a77bbe.jpg

Not so bad. This one kept its shape better. Once I get these areas sanded I will get the round exhaust areas glued and sanded as well.

Lastly, speaking of gluing and sanding, I officially give in on the cockpit area:

62d9e41f324598ce5fd81270eb1f28b0.jpg

I have puttied and sanded the area behind and around the cockpit at least three times. It's never going to look perfect without losing every bit of detail in the rear shelf area. I think with paint and the canopy in place it may not seem so bad.

So, if anyone has any observations or suggestions, please feel free to post! And thanks as always for looking.

John

Edited by jgrease