1/32nd scale HK B-17G - (very) nearly there...

tomprobert

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Terrific progress on the Fortress and the paintwork is looking mighty fine. Nice to see an OOB Fortress coming to life

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Here's the promised pictures of the neutral grey undersides. It's all rather glossy at the moment so doesn't look all that great right now, but this will of course be remedied with a matt varnish in due course:

S1030642.jpg

S1030644.jpg

The NMF areas are masked off under newspaper at this point, and will remain so until she's varnished to preserve the metallic sheen. The exception will be the centre of the fin as the serial number and ID letter will need to be applied here - this will therefore provide a nice contrast to the brighter stabiliser and tail turret.

You can also see the 'Triangle H' has also been completed, too. For the greys I used Xtracolour Neutral Grey, with various panels lightened and darkened to create a bit of wear and tear. Each outer wing panel was replaced on 'Skipper' so these have also been done different greys to the remainder of the undersides.

The next job is the one I've been looking forward to most... the faded and battered olive drab upper sides. Hopefully I'll get some nice weather over the Christmas period and get the painting completed...

Tom

Excellent paint work as usual Tom! Something about your builds, is so clean and well done looking (even when battered and weathered to hell)................I can only aspire to this height!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Excellent paint work as usual Tom! Something about your builds, is so clean and well done looking (even when battered and weathered to hell)................I can only aspire to this height!

Thank you very much...

This will require a fair bit of weathering as she was a high-time Fortress (over 100 missions completed.) I'll do this mainly with the airbrush and some pastels to keep it as controlled as possible. I want it to look worn but not like a patch-work quilt! Looking at the nacelles though, they are black as they come with all that oil and grime; I guess the paint held on to the muck better than the unpainted birds.

I'm a little apprehensive about the olive drab to be honest, but I have an idea of what I'm going to do - multiple light layers of greens and browns, and we'll see how it looks. Thankfully, I have that colour picture I posted earlier of this aircraft to guide me which will make things a little easier... hopefully! 

Tom

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Right with Brian .. magic with an air brush .. looking forward to the OD faded and weathered upper surfaces.

Keep 'em coming

Peter