TAMIYA P-51D OLD CROW: UPDATE 1/4/14: FINISHED & IN THE BOOK

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Jorge

Same here, Chuck's Mustang is incredible and simply a work of art.

Except for the front windscreen, i've reached the polishing, sanding , polishing plus a bit of scribing and riveting stage. Then it's back to polishing again. Oh what joy!

Peter

Jorge.  When I see your and Peter's builds of this kit it really brings a smile to my face, because you both do excellent work and it brings back some fond memories.  It looks like Mal Belford has a good start too, so I look forward to watching all the different approaches to this fantastic kit.  Model on Gents!

If you want to show the inner gear doors up just cut the outer doors off and glue it in place. That's what I did with my last build of this kit, below are a couple pics on how it looks this way. Hope you don't mind me dropping a few pics into your thread?

I did the same thing, very easy to do.  Just cut the center out of the "in-flight" piece and glue it in.  I also made a fake bulkhead to fit in the middle to avoid the see-thru effect.

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

012.jpg

Guest Peterpools

HI Matt

Thanks for checking in. getting close but there always just seems to be something I forgot and didn't do. I have the fuselage pretty much done now with the belly air scoop on and riveted. Finished up the cowling with the bottom cowl grills done with the Eduard PE set - looks pretty neat. Last assembly to go is the drop tanks and hard points. Well, one thing led to another and I've been at them now for about 3 hours and only one set is done - lots of bits and pieces added. Hopefully I'll have them done this weekend and will post and update.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Update 11/23/13: Drop Tanks and Bottom Cowl

Working on finishing up all the smaller but necessary assemblies prior to priming, the drop tanks and cowls were next. The drop tanks and hard points are very nicely done and I thought I would try and add a few details to spruce then up a bit. It's hard to believe just this one hard point and drop tank required nearly 3 hours and it's brother is waiting in the wings.
Hard Points:

Pads were added from thin sheet under the sway braces, adjustment screws; 3 on each side where drilled out and semi looking adjustment screws added (hopefully detail painting down the road will help make them look a bit more convincing).

I decided to go with the early 75 gallon tanks, as I am very partial to how they look. I added the fuel line and pressure line from copper wire, both of which will be fine tuned when the assembly is glued on the wing. Of course, I modified the rear most drain plug but forgot to photograph it.

The cowlings are a four piece work of art and since they will not be closing in the Big Merlin and all I did was add the Eduard PE grill to the bottom cowl. All the delicate holes are there and so much finer then Tamya's offering.

Hopefully, I'll finish the other drop tank and hard point today and then it's back to sanding and polishing the Mustang.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

PCW_4399_zps36789dbc.jpg

Photos show everything and I'll absolutely have to make the rubber connected much thinner before finishing up

Assembled and waiting details

PCW_4400_zps214803f4.jpg

PCW_4397_zps787f940f.jpg

PCW_4398_zpsc4a25c8e.jpg

PCW_4401_zps45d6c731.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

HI Mal

Thanks Buddy .. much appreciated ... I've been trying to figure the plumbing and vents out and once I did, it was just a matter of bits and piece. Marks P-51 build has a lot of the info I needed and I just went from there. The fuel and vent lines need to be refined, including the rubber connector but I can't do much more until they are glued up under the Mustangs wings. Just be careful, the 105 gal tanks are plumbed much differently. Now I just need to finish the other drop tanl and clean them uo and it's off to scribing and polishing.

Peter