TAMIYA P-51D OLD CROW: UPDATE 1/4/14: FINISHED & IN THE BOOK

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks J, much appreciative.

Still sanding and polishing but I think I'm almost there. Can't wait to get the Gloss Black on and see what it looks like.

Peter

Guest Nigelr32

Nice work Peter, those gun bay doors are stunning, and well worth the extra work!!

I think you should go for the different coloured bullet tips, it will really make those beautiful belts a point of conversation.

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Tim, appreciate the kind words. Just a bit more to do with the ammo and I'm moving on. Looks better then I thought but the only problem is there isn't any .50 cal under the top row. 

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE 11/29/13: OLD CROW GETS A PAIR OF NIKES

Still plugging away on completing all the sub assemblies and it was time to build the gear and add a pair of Nikes (actually Eduard's Brassin Wheels and Tires; what can I say, they are just gorgeous. Some time and care was needed in removing the thin flash between the wheel spokes and a light touch up with a sanding sponge on the treads and that was it. I wanted the wheels to look different then the gear legs as far as the tone of the Alclad and not just the color, so each would use a different gloss base color. The gear was treated with Alclad Gloss Black Base and the wheels received a base of Tamiya Fine White Primer, which went down glassy smooth,

The wheels were finished off with Alclad Aluminum, sealed and then a oil pin wash was used to both highlight the details and weathered them up a bit.

The Goodyear's (you can really read the name on the sidewalls) was primed with Tamiya Fine Gray and finished off with Tamiya Dark German Gray. The tires and tread received a going over with a Flory Weathering Wash of Light Mud and tinted with Dessert Yellow.

The gear legs were assembled as per the kit instructions and the fit was extraordinary. I thinned down the scissor struts for a more realistic appearance and that's all she wrote. Sanded, polished and then to the Alclad shop, The struts are aluminum and the oleo's chrome. The s/s clamps were built up a bit for better definition and then after a few decals and hand detail painting, a light oil wash was used to pick out a few of the details.

The gear is now ready to go and it looks like tomorrow will be devoted to finishing up the polishing, adding the armor plate glass between the gun sight and the front windscreen and then adding the windscreen itself. That should be all the stands between me and laying down the Gloss Black Base to see how I did: the moment of truth is almost here!

Thanks for checking in

Peter

The finished gear, ready to go

PCW_4422_zpsc0621baa.jpg

On the right, the kit wheels and rubber tires. On the left, the Eduard Brassin wheels and tires - sweet!

PCW_4413_zpsc86289cd.jpg

The Brassin on the left and ready to go

PCW_4415_zpsbbe71875.jpg

PCW_4421_zpscf3cf4b7.jpg

Fronts

PCW_4419_zps75099b7e.jpg

Backs

PCW_4420_zpsd90a2d9a.jpg

PCW_4423_zps33c415c7.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hakan

Thanks and much appreciated. It's hard to believe but and assembly so small, took so much time but in the end, I was very happy on how the gear turned out.

Peter