more AT-6 eye candy

KAGNEW

Wow! O man o man o man, I REALLY cant wait for this release!!!

Great to see the nose gun fitted as well, that seals it for me, I am up for at least 3 or 4....

Thank you KittyHawk, I reckon this will be a resounding success without question.

Thanks for the update

Cheers

Anthony

Am I sick, or would a Tora Tora Tora conversion to a Zero be cool? Maybe I've been too wrapped up in the Tamiya Zero lately....

Actually, I would have a tough time deciding what to build it as, but I'm more of a fan of warbirds than racers. I'd prob do a yellow wing trainer and another in foreign hands....

I've been wanting a big scale Texan for a long time! Can't wait!

Edited by csavaglio

Hey Barney,

Don't hold your breath. Not sure if KH knows if there is a Harvard. It would be nice to see one in yellow with RCAF markings though. Would look good next to my RCAF Spits :)

Brad

Am I sick, or would a Tora Tora Tora conversion to a Zero be cool? Maybe I've been too wrapped up in the Tamiya Zero lately....

Actually, I would have a tough time deciding what to build it as, but I'm more of a fan of warbirds than racers. I'd prob do a yellow wing trainer and another in foreign hands....

I've been wanting a big scale Texan for a long time! Can't wait!

I bought the Baa Baa Black Sheep series "Zero" when I was a kid..............built it..............kit was since long gone. Later in life, I bought it again many years later, thinking it might have actually been a T-6. :(

I think a Tora Tora Tora "Zero" would be really cool actually!

"I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant, and fill him with a terrible resolve."

I like it so far, but there is one glaring major issue, the T-6 does not have a floor of any sort, the bottom if the front cockpit is the top side of the wing center section, the rear seat is aft of the trailing edge of the wing, so the only thing below it is the fairing from the wing to fuselage.

I do plan on getting one to modifiy into a model of the P-64 I helped to build, just need to find a firewall foreward of the #3 engine from the 1/32 B-17

p-64-1.jpg

paint15.jpg

I hate to burst bubbles, but that 'warbird' isn't even close to a real P-64 - beyond the fact that it has an R-1820 up front. THIS is a P-64:

North%20American%20P-64.jpg

The cockpit is aft of where the AT-6's front seat is - and the wing leading edge sweep is much less than an AT-6. Almost like a Vultee Vengeance planform. Lloyd Jones' drawings in his U.S. FIGHTERS book are incorrect, and Carl Scholl 'cheated' his reproductions so they just look more like hacked-up Texans... I converted a Monogram T-6 kit into my own P-64, and I have good 3-view drawings if anyone is interested - which I did using the only real P-64 (in the EAA Museum at Oshkosh) as reference. I will gladly share them - drop me a line at gmasher@netzero.net

a7425a_e827939894b7b34f0b3c653683bf6c3e_

Christmas 2013

Glen

Hi Glen,

Very excited to see an injection molded 1/32 T-6 coming to market and there are lots of nice details in your CAD drawings. Not trying to be picky but I noticed there is a "floor" connecting the two side walls of the tube frame "birdcage". The T-6 has foot troughs and underneath is just the topside of the wing center section which has a curvature to it. If you need detailed photos, I can help you out. I have quite a few T-6's at my disposal. I think this will be pretty noticeable in 1/32 with such a large cockpit area and greenhouse.

Thanks

Shane

I hate to burst bubbles, but that 'warbird' isn't even close to a real P-64 - beyond the fact that it has an R-1820 up front. THIS is a P-64:

North%20American%20P-64.jpg

The cockpit is aft of where the AT-6's front seat is - and the wing leading edge sweep is much less than an AT-6. Almost like a Vultee Vengeance planform. Lloyd Jones' drawings in his U.S. FIGHTERS book are incorrect, and Carl Scholl 'cheated' his reproductions so they just look more like hacked-up Texans... I converted a Monogram T-6 kit into my own P-64, and I have good 3-view drawings if anyone is interested - which I did using the only real P-64 (in the EAA Museum at Oshkosh) as reference. I will gladly share them - drop me a line at gmasher@netzero.net

It was the best we could do with what we had, it was based off the P-64 in Oshkosh and no need for more reference as I have all the production drawings for every part for the entire T-6 line including the NA-50 and P-64 on 12 reels of 35mm mircofilm.

We had plans to start on our next P-64, which was going to be as accurate as possiable, and had spent many hours crawling around and measuring the 64 at Oshkosh 98, and had all ready lined up a SNJ-2 wing center section and tail cone and were chasing down the yale wings, but it never went beyond that due to the death of Carl Schmieder. The 64 was built was last at Oshkosh in 98, I was taking some photos of it when I heard a VW behind me, I turned around to see Paul in Red 1, he asked me if I knew what it was. I think I caught him off guard when I said it was a P-64 replica the Carl and I had built. Paul thought it was close enough to be called a P-64.

If you built one out of the Monogram T-6, it was not any closer than what we built out of T-6 parts, the P-64 was really a mix mash of parts, mostly SNJ-2, the tail cone, wing center section and truss structure were based on the SNJ-2, as was the landing gear, the wings were simular to a Yale in airfoil and aileron mounting. The engine and cowling on the Oshkosh 64 have been modified over the years, the current engine is a 1,000hp R-1820, when it was built it had a R-1820 of about 850hp, the one we built had a 1425hp R-1820. We carried 150 gallons in the wings with 55 gallons in the centerline drop tank.

The SNJ-2 was a real one off version with very little interchangable with the T-6 series. The Wing center section was wider and was a wet wing with a external sump under a domed fairing on the centerline of the aircraft, Since it was a wet wing, it carried more fuel than the T-6. The landing gear was also longer when I jacked up the SNJ-2 I had to put the jacks on a bed of 4x4s to get enough height to get the wheels off the ground. The tail cone was shorter with a pronounced taper from the tailwheel bulkhead to the rudder mount. The tail wheel assembly was much shorter in length than a T-6 unit. Another difference was the vertical fin foreward mount as it was built up from tubing where as the T-6 was a sheet metal structure that was part of the tail cone.

I have spent the better part 25 years crawling around in the insides of T-6s and have worked on every version from SNJ-2 thru the T-6G, the only one I have not worked on was a wooden tail cone version. The closest was a SNJ-3 that was built with a wooden tail cone, but it had to be replaced with a aluminum tailcone when it was certified in the standard category after it was surplused.

Those that have flown our 64 as well as the F8F has said that the 64 would eat a Bearcat alive from a standing start to about 8,000 ft, after that, the F8F would finally catch up. We never could get to full power on take off as we did not have enough rudder and could not counteract the torque, it was also a bit different in that when the blower kicked in, it really kicked, almost like a car when it downshift for passing.

The 64 is now on display with the Tango Squadron in Thailand.