HK B-17 Accuracy issues?

Guest Nigelr32

I cannot say that they have or have not read what's been written here but I'd like to think they have been paying  attention to their market.

I have it from the horse's mouth that they do indeed follow LSP, though probably only in a general sense.

Kev

Hi Bruce,

One of the best sites for reference pics is www.Aerovintage.com. There are many pages, sorted by age, on the site which covers lots of restorations.

All the pics I have were found by searching Google images for B-17 Crew entry, B-17 Cockpit entry and B-17 crew access. I worry about posting pics without permission unless I am pointing out an error with said picture.

OK, thanks

Guest Nigelr32

I have it from the horse's mouth that they do indeed follow LSP, though probably only in a general sense.

Kev

Oops.. I hope they don't pay me a visit with guns in hand??

Tim,

I don't see why this kit has slid far down your to do list? If you ask me the errors are simple small correctable mistakes that are there in most kits. Some of them, like the rudder pedals are there due to production costs and restrictions. I have spent literally hours researching what you see here, then hours more making it, sometimes three times over!!

This B-17 is a great kit, I'm just being fussy. I look forward to the Lancaster, I'll do this all over again!!

Oops.. I hope they don't pay me a visit with guns in hand??

Tim,

I don't see why this kit has slid far down your to do list? If you ask me the errors are simple small correctable mistakes that are there in most kits. Some of them, like the rudder pedals are there due to production costs and restrictions. I have spent literally hours researching what you see here, then hours more making it, sometimes three times over!!

This B-17 is a great kit, I'm just being fussy. I look forward to the Lancaster, I'll do this all over again!!

It's slid down mostly because I'd love to do the work to mine like you're doing to yours and I don't have that much time in the near future to devote to correcting the oopsies.   Granted it's a good kit and will look decent when finished; I just think that for almost $300, we should've gotten a more thoroughly researched and engineered offering.  Like you, I believe that this kit will be the only 1/32 B-17 I will ever purchase unless an early G is released with corrections to make it worthy of the asking price.  There are loads of references out there, as you can well testify, and the people that HK used in the development of this kit didn't catch these oopsies or were ignored if they did.

Guest Nigelr32

I would like some opinions please guys....

I started this thred, basically as a tool to find out what the inaccuracies were with this kit. Many of you came forward with great suggestions and pictures of what you felt was in error and i thank you for that. then we had GaryW come along with issues he'd found, and also showed us all how to fix them. Thank you Gary, where have you gone??

Moving on, I have also started noticing some issues with the kit and posting the fixes I've been doing to correct them. Some issues I've raised have been categorised as "Not important", such as incorrect door hinge location, but I just wanted to make everyone aware and be thorough with my reporting.

My question is this.. As I find more issues, and indeed correct the issues i do find, should I post them here, start a new WIP thread or just leave the how to's completely? I refer to the post on the rudder mech correction where only Peter Pools and TimC responded. Have people lost interest in this kit?

I would like some opinions please guys....

I started this thred, basically as a tool to find out what the inaccuracies were with this kit. Many of you came forward with great suggestions and pictures of what you felt was in error and i thank you for that. then we had GaryW come along with issues he'd found, and also showed us all how to fix them. Thank you Gary, where have you gone??

Moving on, I have also started noticing some issues with the kit and posting the fixes I've been doing to correct them. Some issues I've raised have been categorised as "Not important", such as incorrect door hinge location, but I just wanted to make everyone aware and be thorough with my reporting.

My question is this.. As I find more issues, and indeed correct the issues i do find, should I post them here, start a new WIP thread or just leave the how to's completely? I refer to the post on the rudder mech correction where only Peter Pools and TimC responded. Have people lost interest in this kit?

what rudder issue?   I must have misssed it buried in some other issue?

Bruce

Edited by Bruce

I say put the repairs and mods in a separate WIP thread with good pics and details.  That way, there's less chance the important info falling into oblivion somewhere.  I also wonder if there's less interest in this kit.  I'm glued to as many B-17 threads as there are but there are so few and far between.  I waited forever for this kit to come out and drove my LHS guy crazy with phone calls about if he had my kit in.  I'd love to see a number of different ways the mods needed are done and their results.  Thanks in advance.  

Nigel          Please continue here...............   I've learned so much about how to improve mine/

To much good information ............And we all know where to find it..

Please continue MASTER...................for we are not worthy.

Thank you Gary, where have you gone??

I'm still lurking around Nigel. I've not been modeling the last few weeks due to a visit to hospital for surgery.

I've also not had much to contribute to this accuracy thread as I've not found anything above and beyond what you have thoroughly documented here.

What little modeling I've been doing has been working on the dorsal and ball turret adding some detail etc but I don't consider adding detail the manufacturers left out an accuracy issue per se but more a level of detail issue and hence I decided not to post here (I suppose I should take your suggestion and start my own thread)

I'd personally like to see you pull all your build pics and notes into a dedicated thread because a lot of what you are showing us now is kinda borderline inaccuracy and more super detailing (which is great), and its not that it does not belong here it's just that I find specific threads easier to follow rather than having to wade through different comments and side discussions in a general thread about any and all accuracy issues that may come up.

cheers

Gary

Guest Nigelr32

Thanks for all your comments guys. I didn't realise there was this much interest or indeed opinion on the matter.

After giving it some thought, and taking Gary's tip on board, I have decided to start a new thread in the WIP forum and comment here on the issues I find. After all, it was me who suggested Gary start a build thread!!

I will collate all the work done so far into one thread and then continue with what I do from now on.

Thanks again all, I appreciate your input.