Next EMD release - 1/32 P-61 Black Widow ADF Antenna set

Derek B

Hello All,

Just a quick heads up to let you know that I have completed the master patterns for my next Eclipse Model Design release. This is a ADF antenna and DF loop detail set for the Hobby Boss 1/32 Northrop P-61B Black Widow kit.

The set (EMD A32010) consists of 12 separate parts, two of which will be clear resin. There is an ADF 'Football' shaped antenna fairing which was also used on other aircraft apart from the P-61 Black widow (B-25 Mitchell for example). There are three ADF antenna fairing adaptor to allow the ADF to be mounted at the correct angle on various parts of the airframe.

The set also includes a commonly used DF loop antenna which was also likewise used on other aircraft types as well. The set features a detailed DF loop antenna motor and another motor used on P-61A aircraft. For external airframe DF loop antenna mounting, there is a dedicated mount and adaptor to allow it to be positioned in two locations. There are also three different crew pod tail cone transparency 'A' frames included in this set (Two clear and one solid resin). These frames represent the original 'A' frame transparent stiffener found on all P-61A and B aircraft. The second frame is a solid metal angle type frame found on PTO P-61A aircraft wnd includes an optional early motor unit - The later style of DF loop motor unit can also be mounted on this frame. The final frame is the later type which is transparent but features a metal tray for the later DF loop motor and was used on later P-61B and P-61C aircraft.

From these parts five ADF antenna location variations and a further four separate DF loop antenna locations can be made, which represents the most typical antenna placement found on all of the P-61 airframes from P-61A to P-61C aircraft.

This set is now ready to go to the casters so I hope to have it on the market within the next two months (Price is yet to be determined).

ADFMasterpatterns004_zps28420bec.jpg

ADFMasterpatterns011_zps436f6e1c.jpg

ADFMasterpatterns015_zps1779c44f.jpg

ADFMasterpatterns018_zps3e01f057.jpg

ADFMasterpatterns035_zps10ac4b7f.jpg

ADFMasterpatterns039_zpse3b8a0ca.jpg

ADFMasterpatterns040_zpsdb1de7ea.jpg

ADFMasterpatterns042_zps026a680e.jpg

Cool! Once i figure out if the version I'm going to build needs this, I'll be ordering. I may try to tackle that yellow and black fire bomber -B, there's some good new info and color profiles for it in the 4th (new) issue of Aviation Historian magazine.

Cool! Once i figure out if the version I'm going to build needs this, I'll be ordering. I may try to tackle that yellow and black fire bomber -B, there's some good new info and color profiles for it in the 4th (new) issue of Aviation Historian magazine.

Thanks Mike. My set covers all P-61 variants from the P-61A to the P-61C. Not sure what was fitted to the fire bomber P-61's though?

Cheers

Derek

Where can we order this set?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Once I have them casted and sent to me, I will need to develop the instruction sheet and packaging, then it will be available from my company Eclipse Model Design (EMD - Click on my logo below to access my website).

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B