Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair finished 5/14/15

Daywalker

Killer...............I didnt know some of the early corsairs had black pits?

They didn't, early Corsairs had Dark Dull Green interiors, which modelers and researchers had been reporting as black in references until the DDG details were uncovered in both documentation and wrecks.

Thanks fellas, glad you enjoyed the update!  Probably will be a few days before another one, lots of irons in the fire with life and all so not much time to build.  Hope things settle down soon, should be better in a week or so.

Thanks again!

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated!  Would be good to get together sometime and swap techniques, I have seen your work up close and know you're not half bad at this modeling thing too!

Cheers Theresa, thank you!

Guest Peterpools

Frank

Super progress on sorting out all the s,mall fit problems as your Corsair is shaping up fantastically. Looking forward to the painting stages and then the stretch to the finish line.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Anything you've heard about my modeling skills, are pure lies and fabrications! LOL....

Seriously though, I need to pick your brain about your washing and aging techniques. You're achieving something that I can't seem to nail down to my satisfaction.

J

• 6 months later...

Hard to believe it's been 6 months since I posted an update on this one!  I apologize as I've been away for some time, building a bunch of 1/48 stuff.  Have some some work on this one in the past couple of weeks, and it is now ready for some markings.  I painted it with a field applied three tone scheme, based on wartime photos of an aircraft serving with VMF-214.  The base colors are on, with many shades of blue, gray, and mixes which I cannot even begin to remember how I did them.  Overall, I am very happy with the patchy, worn look.  After the markings are done, I can really go to town with the oil paint effects.  Looking forward to finishing this one up, as I have two of the new F4U-1A's coming from Wheels and Wings in Canada- due to arrive soon!

005.jpg

004.jpg

Enjoy the pics, and thanks for looking in!