Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair finished 5/14/15

Daywalker

Thank you everyone, I am bowled over by your positive comments!  Did a bit more this evening, added the cowl parts and flaps.  Will get some photos of that progress in a couple of days when I have removed all of the tape holding it together while it dries.

Cheers everyone, thanks again for looking in!

• 4 weeks later...

Another update, starting to really look like a Corsair now!  Engine and cowling are finished, and attached to the airframe.  I added a small bit of wire for the linkage to the prop control governor, added a nice bit of detail to the top of the crankcase.  I have read numerous reports of people having difficulty getting the cowl attached to the airframe without a space between the two at the top.  I was VERY careful to make sure everything was aligned properly before committing to glue, and also removed all paint from glue surfaces hoping to avoid any gap at all.  In the end, I had to insert a piece of .005 styrene to fill very small gap.

001-5.jpg

005-4.jpg

006-3.jpg

The tail parts are on now, and the elevators have been positioned in the up position.  The wing stubs are mounted as well as the inner flaps, and I went with mounting them in the "up" position as that is how they seem to appear in a lot of period photos.  I have also assembled the landing gear to be able to see her on her legs.  I have opted to use the DEF Models resin wheels/tires.  I have purchased the Barracudacast, Eduard, and DEF sets and I like these the best.  They also have the added benefit of two different sets of tread patterns to capture that look with differing tires on the same airframe.

002-6.jpg

003-5.jpg

Next up, assembling the outer wings.  Getting close to paint now!

Edited by Daywalker

Guest Peterpools

Frank

Beautiful work and fantastic progress on the Big Bent Wing Bird. Nice touch on the spacer, as it shows, even Papa Tamiya isn't perfect but darn close to it.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you guys for looking in, I appreciate all of the feedback!  It really helps to keep me motivated here.

Wow.....

Frank this looks real great, big progress done too....

Im very curios about paint and weathering that soon will come...

any plans buddy?

/Mal

Hmmm... not sure yet!  I have picked up many new colors in oils for weathering, hope to make this one VERY dirty indeed!

More progress made this past week, wings are assembled and ready to go.  Mounted them to the airframe this morning and now it's time to sort out some small details before painting finally begins!  I was a bit surprised at first at the fit of the outer wing panels as it was not very good.  But, there are a lot of subassemblies involved and getting them all to fit perfectly is probably too much to ask.  Still, they are on with a small bit of Mr. Surfacer used to fill in some gaps. 

For all of the lights on the wings (there are 10 of them!) I first sprayed Alclad aluminum, then the colored lenses and such where appropriate.  Some of those smaller lenses (like the ones for the blue formation lights on the top wings) are VERY small, and cleaning them up without catapulting them into the abyss was a bit stressful.  Tamiya provides you with an extra lens for those blue ones, and one extra for the three colored lights on the bottom of the right wing.  Thank goodness they did, as I needed them both!

Next up, sorting out the canopy parts and antennas, then masking and paint!  Another two weeks or so and painting should begin.  I have a couple of photos showing where I am at, and this time I couldn't resist adding the prop for the photos.  Amazing how big that thing really is!

001-6.jpg

002-5.jpg

004-5.jpg

006-4.jpg

Edited by Daywalker

Hi Frank,

On the subject of the wing joints, i'll say that mine were pretty good, but not perfect. I wound up using liquid cement to glue the segments aft of the spar, and when that was dry i had to coax (read: force) the center and outer sections forward of the spar (the so called "D-Section) into place and tacked them up with C/A.

Close but not perfect. I wound up using a little bit of CA and some Tamiya gray liquid surface primer to touch up the gaps. It's certainly acceptable, and when you consider the massive parts count and complexity of this thing, i'm not gonna complain. Overall i'd say the fit is better than that found on their 48th scale Corsair.

Onward and upward.....

-d-