Trumpeter 1/32 Skyraider AEW

gunpowder

I was going to build this straight from the box , but the temptation to make an AEW is just too great. Im not saying that this will be 100% accurate as im only working from photos.

The first bit i have done is the fairing behind the canopy. I have built it from one of the kit drop tanks and some plasticard. Alot of fiddling and sanding later and i think it looks OK. Thats one thing done. Next i need to fill the side airbrakes , scribe a door and cut a window , plasticard finlets , wheel well fairings , vent on top of fairing , flame dampeners , oh yes and that big radome. Not much then...

DSC_7442_zpsd6c2b2ce.jpg

DSC_7443_zpsc3997b8e.jpg

Nice stuff!

I had an idea to do this conversion at some stage having seen the wreck outside the hanger at Yeovilton.

Bra.Z models did an AEW conversion for the Avenger in 1/32 and the radome looks very similar.

I understand the Skraider took over from the Avenger in the AEW role so if its the same radar/dome that might save a bit of time.

:thumbsup:

Edited by PhilB

I have the Braz Avenger AEW set and the first thing I thought when I saw the Skyraider was......convert it to the AEW version.

But then I woke up and came to my senses. Apparently, Trumpeter are bringing the AEW version out sometime, so I'll wait a bit !!!!

Nice stuff!

I had an idea to do this conversion at some stage having seen the wreck outside the hanger at Yeovilton.

Bra.Z models did an AEW conversion for the Avenger in 1/32 and the radome looks very similar.

I understand the Skraider took over from the Avenger in the AEW role so if its the same radar/dome that might save a bit of time.

:thumbsup:

Its the same Radar , but spending £35 just on a radome seems a bit pricey. Funny enough that wreck was the main reason i wanted to do one , that and the memories of the one that used to be at Flambards aero park.

I have made the finlets for the tailplanes. I didnt want to fit them top and bottom so i made 1 piece ones that fit into slots cut in the tailplanes. They are only rough for now and need padding out a bit.

DSC_7444_zps5b4ab2bb.jpg

DSC_7445_zps82e44443.jpg

Edited by gunpowder

The annoying thing is , i had an old Panther models resin skyraider AEW , but i think it got chucked out a few years ago. Typical.....

Edited by gunpowder

Guest Peterpools

Stellar idea for the Skyraider.

Looking forward to following the build

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry people i have been a bit lazy with the updates. The fuselage and wings are now built. I have filled the speedbrakes , and scribed a door with window cut out. The biggest challenge has been overcome , that being the radome. I got some measurements from a kind member and i have carved one from laminated Balsa. It still needs some filling and sealing but on the whole im happy.

001-3_zps85c51f89.jpg

Edited by gunpowder

Watching this with interest! My very first conversion was the Airfix AEW conversion by Alan Hall in Airfix Magazine, March 1969 I seem to remember... Brings back great memories of being helped by my father to carve that radome!

Tim

More sanding and filling on the radome today. I thought it may be a good idea to roughly assemble the undercarriage to check the clearance. All looks OK.

001-3_zpsaf474491.jpg

004-1_zps7b4b2b08.jpg

005-2_zps884a3550.jpg

006-2_zps03795aed.jpg