F-4B Phantom II Cockpit: Update 04/18/15

Barry

• 4 weeks later...

A short update though it has taken me about three weeks to manage some positive progress on the F-4B Cockpit specifically the Aft CP it is the key!

Here are a couple on illustrations I created from the data I have put together on the aft cockpit equipment installations L & R side.

Aft%20Cockpit%20LH%20Equipment_Rev_A_zps

Aft%20Cockpit%20RH%20Equipment_zpsfawzxc

I have built up the above floor equipment on the left hand. New creations are the AUX No.2 Missile Firing Relay / Circuit Breaker Panel and the Bomb Release Angle Computer (upper most aft units). The Electronic Control Amplifier is located below and outboard of the Missile Relay panel.

P2010016_zps6fz42jpu.jpg

Same on the right hand side including scratch building the Arm Rest as well as the No.1 and No.2 Circuit Breaker Panels. The panels are very close to actual shape but are still about 30% short of the actual number of breakers. I use 3 Tamiya panels cutting them out and reducing the thickness to .015". I then cut the individual rows of breakers apart and reducing the width about 50% then reassembled them onto a reshaped panel that had been reduced in thickness by .015" to allow me to glue rows onto it and end up where it started.

There is still quite a bit to do on the area above the CB panels I found that everything as depicted y Tamiya to be too low with respect to the canopy sill. I also still have the lower aft equipment to do.

P2010008_zps2ppjslgd.jpg

Here a couple of shots with one of Harold's; AMS Resin, H-5 Seats in place. Yes I know a lot of what I have done will not be seen with the seat in but in a maintenance diorama it will look awesome with the aft seat bucket removed!!

P2010003_zpsmry4qoe9.jpg

P2010006_zpshzbtbgcy.jpg

TAFN, thanks for looking. I welcome you thoughts and comments!

Barry

Lovely Barry

Now stop showing off and offer some resin copies

And will you notice any of that, four years down the road ? If you finish it, you great teaser ?!

(Says he with a pen torch examining kits built, er, three years ago)

Tony

Edited for correct name

Edited by Tony T

Thanks Derek and Bill. I took a "Super Bowl recovery day" so I have been working on the RH side a little.

Moved the Interval Time up as well as the two Test Plugs and the Switch cutout next to the plugs, I have colored the Timer and the Switch Panel adjacent to it as well as the plugs with "Sharpe" so they are more visible. I still have to make the switches as well as add an addition two aft of the last cutout I have made.

P2020024_zpsda9caaue.jpg

Cheers,

Barry

Bill,

It is the F-4B cockpit and I am modeling it for my personal use and attempting to modeled as accurately as possible using original NATOPS NAVAIR illustrations and available photos. I have been at it a while because I have been sifting through data and photos trying to tie down the original configuration. Nearly all the photos out there are of aircraft later in their careers and are not as originally configured.

There is no rush to market it until I am personally satisfied that it is as accurate as possible though it will not be 100%. There are several key areas that all currently available kits have either not attempted to model or have not modeled very accurately. The Navy version is very different in many ways and capturing as many of them as possible is the goal. It seems like every time I start back down the "road" I find another clue!

I am not in a competition with anyone other than myself and IMHO once completed the finished product will speak for itself. 

Barry