Tamiya F-16A Block 10

jmel

This took most of the past two years to finally finish. It clearly won't win any contests, but it looks OK on the shelf. It depicts the very last F-16 to depart Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, on July 28, 1994. This was number 2 of a two-ship that departed for AMARC. Once it got airborne, it brought up its gear and made a hard left turn to pass over the 906th ramp and the many people gathered to watch it go. I was there as a kid, then found the same jet at AMARC in 2007, still with its artwork on the fuel tank.

I started from the Tamiya Thunderbird kit, with the vertical stab coming from a Hasegawa kit. All of the Block 10 items are scratchbuilt, to include the smaller horizontal stabs and cockpit. This is one of those projects that seemed simple enough, but once I began looking more closely at the Block 10s, I realized how different they are from the kit's Block 32. There's a lot of work to be done, and it kicked my butt!

Jake

Viper2-1_zpsfb94eb9c.jpg

Viper1_zps688de927.jpg

Viper5_zps74f69451.jpg

Viper4_zpsc2105231.jpg

In the below pic, you can clearly see the absence of wheel hubs. I have been waiting on the promised early Viper wheels from Sierra Hotel Models for two years now, but I've given up hope of ever seeing them. The good news is I've sent refs to another individual who has already began to make them.

Viper7_zpsba0c2d6c.jpg

The kit gear was cut up and repositioned to represent the gear in transit as it is being retracted. Another item that seemed simple enough, yet still tortured me into submission.

Viper6_zpsd565330b.jpg

Fuel tank artwork. When I shot the jet in 2007, all of the signatures had long since worn away, but the 'Boneyard Bound' script was still there.

Viper14_zps2d36c828.jpg

Viper10_zps0ad35ce4.jpg

Viper3_zps95aed5bd.jpg

Homemade decals. I drew them on paper, scanned them, edited and resized in Photoshop, then printed with a laser printer.

Viper13_zps317916b4.jpg

Scratch built travel pod.

Viper12_zps99df8d8b.jpg

Viper11-1_zps4550fe6e.jpg

Cheers Jake, love that in flight display! As much as I do like to see them in their natural element, seeing this one mid-gear retraction adds even more life to the model. I would love to see a resin conversion set to build early Vipers from the Tamiya kit, hope someone does a set one day. There are a lot of small tail Vipers I would love to build!

Here's to hoping for some new early Viper wheels in the New Year! :coolio:

Thanks, guys! It looks OK, but up close the flaws really stand out. The canopy isn't glued down yet. I thought it would be nice to leave it accessible to take a peek at the pilot and Block 10 instrument panel occasionally. It looks pretty bad, though, so I think it'll have to be glued on.

I would love to see a resin conversion set to build early Vipers from the Tamiya kit, hope someone does a set one day. There are a lot of small tail Vipers I would love to build!

I don't think that's possible, Frank. The big change, obviously, are the smaller stabs and vertical tail. But beyond, the entire airframe is different with regards to doors and panel lines. I rescribed the entire intake sides, for example. Then there are the LEF seals, cockpit, wheels, Station 3/7 pylons, 4/6 pylons, and other smaller changes.

Love the signatures on the left tank. Thanks for :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...........Harv

Thanks! Here's another pic of the tank with a yet-to-be-modified pylon.

tank1_zpscc41efe6.jpg

Jake

Edited by jmel