3d Printers usage for large scale kits

Flipper

Guest Peterpools

Maybe I missed the whole point of 3D Printing, but it seems with time, an entire model could be produced without any assembly at all. I wonder if this is in the cards?

Peter

Hi Flipper,

I have been messing around with my 3d printer for a little while here:

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=39444

Hello Ericg, I know this subject, but with full respect to that V-1, this is a completely different approach. Check the walls of the fuselage, and the level of detail on the original 3d model...

this technology is just another tool. you have to put a lot of effort in, it is just effort done in a different way, and with different tools. the discipline and care needed to do a good job is just the same. the research is just the same, the skill and application is the same, and ultimately the love and respect of the subject matter is just the same.

Forget this idea that these technologies are some kind of cheat, or short cut. They are not. Forget that they are perfect, and that all that came before is now worthless. They are not.

I have been professionally involved with rapid prototyping for more than 12 years now, and believe me, there are just as many problems as solutions, most precisely the same ones as before! The old adage cr&p in, cr&p out holds just as it always did. It might be a bit quicker, maybe a bit cheaper, but cr&p all the same.....

Of course, if you ARE preparred to learn the new skills, spend a fair bit on getting samples made and learn from you mistakes, there are some amazing possibilities to be had. But no more or less than if you pursued using a lathe, or metal casting, or graphic skills.

Norbert is clearly pursuing his targetvat full speed! Some excellent work there....

Tim

I think the possibilities are in the fact that the end user may not have the CAD skills but own a cheap machine that can do excellent work. They then purchase the file of the model from the manufacturer and then print it in their own home, rather than getting it in a box from a shop. I seriously think in 5 years these things will be very mainstream.

In my own experience with my V-1, I had an extreme learning curve to get my head around CAD, something totally new to me. I took a week off work and practically didn't sleep so that I could teach myself this craft. I think these sentiments are reflected in WunWinglows post above.

I did design my model so that it would break down into parts and then be easily cast so I do agree with Flipper that it is a totally different approach. It looks like he is doing just the one copy of the model and not making it for re-sale?

Eric.

What Norbert is showing us is a totally different approach, pushing the borders to the extremes (in a current situation, of course...). Where I see a huge room for this technology is a "tailor made" conversions. I think, that we will not see too many models like this - he spent 600 hours in creating a mock-up as we don't see too many superdetailed models made from scratch.

But when I saw this, I am seriously thinking about creating a conversion from Revells X-1 to X-1E. I would just scan a half of fuselage, import it to a 3d modeler and create a new cone. It is relatively small, simple in shape and I will get something extraordinery.

Exactly as Ericg did - to enjoy and learn...

There certainly are a lot of possibilities.

But what will happen to the classic injection moulded kit? I guess in the future there will be 3D models available for little or no money at all, downlodable from various websites for us to print on our 3d printers. Just as we can get 5 view drawings, scale them and print them on our laser printers as reference for our builds. Would anybody pay, let's say a hundred bucks, for a 3D model by Tamya or Revell or Hasegawa if you could have on for free, done by some skilled enthusiast?

I wonder.

Cheers

Rainer

I believe IM kits will be around for a very long time yet.

There are probably 2-3 stashes for every build, and part of the fun is the packaging, decals etc - having the same thing on CD in a plain brown box doesn't have the same collectors' cachet, which is a big part of the market.

Those using the new technologies will more likely keep them exclusive for a wow factor at competitive events, unless they are marketing conversion sets etc. in resin from printed masters.

I just hope that one day somebody very clever will work out how to make clear parts that equal IM canopies in terms of clarity, ease of construction and working characteristics.

I agree with Tony, in that I think in the short to medium term these technologies will have a bigger impact on the aftermarket than on mainstream kits. I believe Eduard is already using 3D printing as part of the process to produce their Brassin sets.

Kev

Free stuff tends to be worth precisely what you paid for it, however it was made. If it has taken Norbert 600 hours just to get where he is now, which is no-where near anything marketable, that time and effort will have to be paid for somewhere along the way.

And if you ever think you will be able to buy a useful RP machine for a couple of hundred bucks, the only way it will happen will be if the consumables are extremely expensive. The people who are looking most at this are the big printer companies, who make their money by effectively giving you the printer, and charging an absolute fortune for the inks. Isn't printer ink one of the most expensive liquids in the world, by volume? Expect RP material cartridges to be the same....

I know you can now by these rap machines for a couple of THOUSAND bucks, or a bit less, but the quality of the output is still shockingly bad compared to the worst injection moulded parts. The masters for my A34 Comet kit were done on a ProJet HD3500 machine, one of the best on the market (which cost the company I work for over £40k, and at leat £5k a month in running costs), and even then the surface quality is pants compared to an injection moulded item.

If I was spending my own money, I would still buy a CNC milling machine than any of these RP machines. They are far more flexible in terms of materials, much more accurate, far better surface finish. They are noisy and dusty of course, and guess what, you STILL have to put a huge effort into doing the basic CAD design work, you STILL have to spend a lot of time and money working out how to use the machine, and the cheapest useful CNC machine is STILL going to set you back several thousand £s.

Or, you could just buy a plastic kit.....

Tim

PS heres a little vid of one of our recent projects

http://vimeo.com/31836451#

Edited by wunwinglow