HpH Aero Vodochody L-39ZA Finished

ericg

To follow on from my thread a few weeks ago here: http://forum.largesc...showtopic=41557 and to celebrate getting my command on the Dash 8-300 at work on the weekend, I decided to start the Hph L-39, as I have been wanting to start this since I got it, but the Pfalz and study were keeping me from getting into it.

This kit is superb, and I am very happy that I purchased it. Being a full resin kit it presents it own unique challenges in its construction but with some different techniques it is relativley easy to put together. Upon close examination of the parts, there is evidence of 3D printing of the masters but you really need to know what you are looking for to see it. I have never been one for taking great pictures like some on here, they are all taken on my phone, and uploaded directly to photobucket.

I started by seperating the wings from the carrier and glueing in the resin wingspar and mounts for the undercarriage legs. As this aircraft has its gear doors retracted on the ground there are no wheelbays. I have used slow setting epoxy resin glue.

IMAG1138.jpg

Many clips later and put aside for a few hours

IMAG1139.jpg

There is some misalignment in the tip tanks and will require a bit of work on both sides to fix

IMAG1149.jpg

The forward left side of the fuselage where the steps are located

IMAG1137.jpg

Half an hour later and the panels have been removed. I am yet to box up the photoetch interiors of the panels, so further refinement is still required of the cuts that I made.

IMAG1166.jpg

The 2 piece intake joined together. These are very nicely cast and pit together perfectly to form the seamless intakes. I have used my favourite combo of Gunze resin primer and Mr Thinner in a 50:50 mix to prime the resin. This stuff is the best primer you can get for resin and it sprays very smoothly.

IMAG1150.jpg

The cockpit tub, which comes as three pieces.

IMAG1164.jpg

The excellent seats, which will be models in their own right

IMAG1156.jpg

IMAG1155.jpg

Rudder pedals

IMAG1157.jpg

Edited by ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

The kit looks like a winner and the from the first construction photos, progress is being made a nice clip. Totally agree about the ejection seats .. they look terrific.

Keep 'em coming.

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Nice start Eric, I picked up the kit on Saturday not had chance to take a good look yet, pity about the misalignment on the tip tanks. Congratulations on passing you Dash 8-300 command - I'm presuming you get to sit in the big seat now, with a hat to match?

Hi Kagemusha, yes the big reponsibility seat it is, and an embarrasingly crisp hat which has no experience beaten into it!

A small update, I have begun painting and assembling the cockpit. The pre-painted photo etch is quite a treat, but the big challenge will be to make it look more 3D than what it is.

IMAG1190.jpg

IMAG1191.jpg

The seats, painted and with the padding in place but no glued.

IMAG1192.jpg

The photo etch inserts for the cockpit steps..... these were a ***** to fit!

IMAG1193.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Totally missed the most important of all:

Congratulations on getting your Dash 8-300. Way to go. :piliot:

Front office and especially the IPs looking real good

Peter

I have completed the rear part of the fuselage, and must say the fit is rather `agricultural' and will take a bit of work to redo the very fine surface detail that exists on this model. I have chosen to put the flaps UP on this build as I prefer it that way and there are lots of photos where they are up. I think that HpH have intended to have them down as there is only the down option in the instructions. They have required more work to get them to fit in the up position.

IMAG1248.jpg

Taped together to see what I am in for:

IMAG1246.jpg

A sexy Beast:

IMAG1247.jpg

Race Ya!

IMAG1245.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looking great Eric!

Firstly, Congradulations on your upgrade! Good job!

My L-39 finally showed up, and agreed; it is a stunning kit! You are off to an excellent start as usual. Looking forward to watching you work your magic on this kit!

Spent the day yesterday working on our L-39C. It is getting prepped for a 15 year/1500 hour inspection. I had my 15 year old son helping- Funny, he was the only one skinny enough to fit down the intake-Rudy.jpgintake.jpg

Rudy1.jpg

Although this particular jet is a 1982 L-39C, it is very similar to the ZA. If you need any pictures, just let me know-

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann