1/32 P-51B

MartinP

Totally agree Kev. Jerry, have you talked to Tim about this at all ?? I would love to have another shot at this......Harv

I have to be honest,most of you guys don't appear to want to take a lot of effort for this build but here is a suggestion that at least is cheap. Take the nose of an old Hasegawa D and put it on an old Revell B,blend together with putty,sand smooth and rescribe.

J

I have heard of folks doing this...I intend to, as well, one of these days.

.....Both kits can be gotten for about $15 apiece.

J

I WISH!!!!!!! Not anymore, and certainly not on Ebay. Maybe if a person lucks out at a yard sale.

(But I am actually saving my pennies for a Trumpy kit with the clear fuselage :wub: )

Sorry Kev,it was a little sarcastic but if you know me,it's also the way I kid around. The net is a very hard place to get the nuances of the "speak" out.

I did not know that the old kits were going for so much mullah!

I have e-mailed Tim about this topic already. The thing is,with my luck,I would labor my ass off on every part to up-grade my old kit and just about time I had it ready some company run by furriners would release it in plastic. This is also why I am loosing interest in the groundcrew figgies as someone posted something on here that reminded me that ZM have some little dudes already and are fixen to come out with more.

This is also why I am loosing interest in the groundcrew figgies as someone posted something on here that reminded me that ZM have some little dudes already and are fixen to come out with more.

I don't think ZM matters in the case Jerry, there stuff isn't always all that easy to get and it's certainly not inexpensive. Your figures will sell well, I am sure of it.

Ron

Guest Dekenba

Hobby Crafts P-51 Operation Torch is an A or B I think?

It's one of the simplest kits I've ever seen - the guns are moulded to the wings on the sprue - but it might be a good starting point.......

Hobby Crafts P-51 Operation Torch is an A or B I think?

It's one of the simplest kits I've ever seen - the guns are moulded to the wings on the sprue - but it might be a good starting point.......

Hmm, that Hobbycraft idea is not a bad one though I dont know how much it differs from a B model P-51; beyond hacking off the nose of a D and grafting on, what other mods would be needed?

If you guys go back to the first page of this thread you will see I already suggested this. The Hobbycraft kit has very good bones but is poor in detail so you have to be aware of those shortcomings.

J

I have to be honest,most of you guys don't appear to want to take a lot of effort for this build but here is a suggestion that at least is cheap. Take the nose of an old Hasegawa D and put it on an old Revell B,blend together with putty,sand smooth and rescribe. Both kits can be gotten for about $15 apiece.

Another pretty cheap build is to mate the old Hasegawa nose to a Hobbycraft A model and make some small changes to the A's wings detail and there you go! The Hobbycraft kit has a beautiful canopy area,better than the Trumpy kit IMHO.

And,just for the record,when I first popped a copy of my P-51B kit out of the molds about 10 years ago I had one ready to paint in about a week so I am kind of wondering what was so hard about building it? In fact,you can see the same kit,still unpainted,in my thread about the 1/32 scale aircraft grouncrew on this website.

J

I did that some years ago (Hasgawa P-51D front graft to Revell P-51B fuselage). It wasn't a hard kitbash at all.

But I really would like to see Jerry (or someone) pop out a few more of his P-51B kits.

Isn't there a Hobbycraft 1/32 Apache that was a blow up of the excellent AM 1/48 kit?

Could parts of that be combined with a P-51D kit to get the B model?

Problem with that is the fuselage of the Allison-engined Mustangs were shallower than the Merlin engined versions, so to be anally (is that a word?) accurate you couldn't just graft a Hasegawa nose onto the Hobbycraft Apache. I think that Hobbycraft actually got that dimension right. But I think the difference is 4" on the real thing, so if you're not too fussed it might be OK visually, and the cross-kitting could work.

If you're going to do a conversion I think Geoff's route is the better one. The best way is still Jerry's kit if you can get one.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

John B,

Accuracy: I love this discussion because it's endless. This being said, how accurate would you like to be? How accurate are the after market parts? How credible was the information used by the supplier to manufacture said components? Keep in mind that there are no factory drawings of the B/C/D. Engineering drawings exist only for the components which, when assembled, become the end item.

The IPC gives you drawings of compomemts and general arrangements, but no dimensions. The E&M Manual gives you a " how to do" look at the Mustang along with part numbers. There are photos, but now they are all photo copies and sometimes not that good. The part numbers given in the E&M Manual correspond to the drawing numbers which, geometrically define the part which, ultimately defines the subject.

If plan form geometry is your goal, I suggest you secure a set of Charles Neely's drawings. They have been scanned, digitized, photographically analyzed, CAD interpretted, measured, remeasured, and the same answer keeps coming back. They are the best of any available on the market. They are the best not because they are close. They are the best because they are spot on. This holds true for both the B/C and the D. You can reach Charly on the P-51 SIG. I secured both sets ( B/C & D) for forty USD. They are indispensable. The fifty-one SIG is also populated by a great bunch of guys that are always willing to join and help out. I would urge you to join, even if only temporarily. You'll find what you need there.

Best,

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

I picked up a Trumpy "B" a while back for a decent price intending to add the needed after market stuff to correct it. I wound up buying the following:

1 True Details Wheels

2 Aires Cockpit set

3 Aires Wheel Bay

4 Quickboost prop blades

5 Quickboost exhausts

6 Quickboost undercarriage covers

I spent more on the AM stuff than I paid for the kit but that's okay if the finished model is "accurate". (I oftentimes enjoy adding good AM items to my builds). Now I'm wondering if this is all that is needed to correct the kit. What say y'all?

John

Sorry John,

But # 3 Aires wheelwell is more for the Allison engined P-51 not a Merlin 51.Location of the coolant pipes are not correct. Aires got it wrong and to my knowledge has not redone them.

Mike Horina