Did You See This? Lit. Ed. Spitfire Prototype

Bill Cross

As a Spitfire lover, I could not pass up the opportunity to have a model of the very first Spit ;) I just got mine and it is actually quite nice. I'm planning to write up a review, and will send it in to Kevin once I get it done :)

I purchased mine from DMC Models, and service (including replacing a broken part ASAP) has been outstanding.

Doug

Edited by DougN

Yeah, it's a nice looking kit but at $260 + Shipping (U.S.) at today's exchange rate, it's a tad outta my budget. Doug's link is at $200 but still way too high for my limited funds. Besides, I"m waiting for that WingXL B-26 Marauder and MAYBE an HK B-25J Strafer.

Edited by TimC

It doesn't look bad at all. Nice set of PE and a very clean looking single piece fuselage and wing.

However, I already have the Paragon conversion and a suitable donor Revell MK I.

Be interested in your review though Doug.

Matt

If you think that having all the items in the same box and less modeling work to produce a kit are mandatory criterions, this is a good option.

However, personally, I think this is a very expensive solution considering that a Revell kit with some photoetched sets, a Paragon conversion and Ventura decals may result in the same replica for more or less half this sum...

If you think that having all the items in the same box and less modeling work to produce a kit are mandatory criterions, this is a good option.

However, personally, I think this is a very expensive solution considering that a Revell kit with some photoetched sets, a Paragon conversion and Ventura decals may result in the same replica for more or less half this sum...

Unfortunately, that will still not get you to the prototype Spitfire. The nose on the prototype is deeper, and the cockpit is almost completely different, neither of which the Paragon set (nor any existing photoetch) addresses (IIRC the main gear doors are different as well). The new Aerotech kit gives you all of this in an easy to build option.

Personally, having this kit is indeed the better option for me (as I will actually build it) :)

Doug

Unfortunately, that will still not get you to the prototype Spitfire. The nose on the prototype is deeper, and the cockpit is almost completely different,

As I wrote: less modeling work. However, the changes are not really difficult if you want to allocate a little bit of time! Nonetheless, I understand that everybody is not necessarily willing to do this. I hope you'll appreciate the kit.

a Revell kit with some photoetched sets, a Paragon conversion and Ventura decals may result in the same replica for more or less half this sum.

Because Stephen hasn't chimed in, I'll point out that rocks, sticks and wrapping paper provide another avenue to Spitfire-Prototype bliss.

Charles Metz

Because Stephen hasn't chimed in, I'll point out that rocks, sticks and wrapping paper provide another avenue to Spitfire-Prototype bliss.

Charles Metz

:rofl:

Derek

Charles Metz

Far too complicated Charles, I think that some clay and a lot of craftsmanship may also result in a nice Spit prototype ;-)

Charles Metz

:rofl:

Oh man, I needed that!!! But, you forgot the chewing gum!