1/32 recovered B-17 - UPDATE 12/10/13 - FINISHED - YAY!

richdlc

• 4 weeks later...

*update 16 July 2012*

Hi everyone,

Welcome to my latest update. I have been pretty busy over the last few weeks trying to decide what to build...and what not to.

I always intended to show a gaping hole in the fuselage side, maybe from a flak burst or rocket attack, which would show off the interior. I decided to cut a large hole in the port side, just behind the radio room - mainly because I knew from photographs that the bulkhead just in front of the ball turret (ie bulkhead 6 - the radio room bulkhead) acted as a kind of blast-wall - ripped metal from an explosion stopped abruptly at this point - here's an image from the 'daveswarbirds' website for illustrative purposes only - this is actually the starboard side - you can see on the left that the damage stops at the fifth bulkhead. I am going to apply the same principal to the port side damage:

side6.jpg

And here's a picture from the net of the backside of bulkhead 6, just in front of the ball turret & looking forward towards the cockpit - it has been stripped bare in this image - I have replicated the details here only (for now) until I can find more images:

Picture11-1.png

Here are a couple of shots of the port side fuselage. At first I removed the 'battle damaged' area in a haphazard way. Later I realised that for realism' sake I should have followed the panel lines, which I duly did. In order to replicate the damage, I will wait until the final stages of the build when I am skinning the model with pewter sheet - I can then fashion some ribs and some damaged panels, and attach them in the correct place - the end result will look like the picture I posted above of the damaged aircraft. The plastic of the vacform fuselage is also way thicker than is realistic, and would require an age to sand down - this way I can blend the pewter panels in and have the exposed torn edges a realistic thickness.

To make the bulkheads themselves, I used a piece of wire & trial and error / sanding. Curl the wire around inside the fuselage, bend to shape & then draw roughly around the wire, which holds its shape. Pretty crude, and takes a while, but do-able with some patience. I made a start of the ribs by layering 0.75 x 0.75 plastic strip three deep for each rib.

Notice how the 'damage' stops abruptly at the bulkhead, as previously described - I also decided to add a little damage just behind the cockpit, so you can see the workings of the top turret. You can see that I have cut a rough, jagged hole but I will probably enlarge it along the panel lines later...

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

In the last image you can see that I cut the door opening - this leads through to the radio room. So....here is another image I found on the net. This is the front of bulkhead 6 (ie inside the radio room, looking rearwards).

Here is found a bank of tuning units on the left. Above that there are stored some tools - the emergency crank extensions for the bomb bay doors (x2), and the manual engine starter crank extension rod. On the right are the antenna tuning unit (top),the transmitter (centre) and transmitter tuning unit (bottom) - in this image there is a modern fire extinguisher where the transmitter tuning unit should be - the transmitter itself is also a slightly different model to the one in my aircraft.

p360929299-4.jpg

Picture8-1.png

note that the layout varied greatly according to the machine, and there was no 'standard' configuration.

Here's what I built according to my sources - the three pencilled circles on the transmitter are where I need to fit some instrument bezels later.

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

Edited by richdlc

IMG_2636.jpg

I also made a start on the opposite corner, which is the radio operator's station. So far I've made only the chair and the table. Here's an image I found from the net for illustrative purposes only - these views are looking forward towards the bomb bay. The radio operator sits on the port side behind bulkhead 5:

b17radioroom.jpg

and some images of what I've made so far:

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

the two little gadgets above the table mounted on the bulkhead wall are (left to right) the warning bell, and the ASH receiver.

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

Finally, an overview of the compartment - very small but very busy:

3195209295_7ee7833056_z.jpg

lots still to build, will post an update ASAP but it's slow going! Comments welcomed

stay tuned

Rich

This looks great! We can only hope the eventual HK Models kit will have this kind of detail in it. That would be great, since you're doing such a good job scratch-building. I know I don't have the talent for it, so I'll just have to be in awe of your build. Can't wait to see where it goes, your idea is very ambitious.

Matt :party0023:

thanks a lot guys! It's great to get nice feedback, it keeps me going. I'm going a little bit crazy I must admit. I think I will stop short at doing the bomb bay though - it would be totally invisible on the finished model. It's very tempting as I have a complete photographic record of it! But no - radio room, fuselage and cockpit is what I'm aiming for...

As for the HK Models kit, I can only hope that it doesn't get released any time soon haha :whistle:

OK, yea, your crazy ! But man, the stuff you come up with. This is a joy to watch ! The song thats in my head when I look here is Black Sabath "CRAZY TRAIN" ! LOL..............Harv :popcorn: