MkVIII Spitfire

Whitey

Here is my recently completed Tamiya 1/32 scale Spitfire MkVIII representing Temora Aviation Museum's magnificent aircraft. I thought that this was a good way to present a clean aircraft rather than a wartime aircraft.

3410a.jpg

Overall a sensational model to build but I still added some extra details in the cockpit, resin wheels and cockpit door come from Barracuda Studios.

I only left the port side cowl off so that you can see the complete aircraft from the other.

3400a.jpg

Lots of photo references used and special thanks to Motty and his fantastic photo resource. Brett Green's book was also helpful.

3402a.jpg

I left the wartime "kill" marking on because I liked them. They are not present on Temora's aircraft.

3401a.jpg

Modelmaster paints were sprayed with the gloss coats brush painted using Long Life floor polish with the final gloss coat from an old bottle of Future, that I generally only use for canopies.

3377a.jpg

The kit decals were very fragile and the carrier film between the ID letters silvered badly so I used a new blade and cut the offending pieces off the model, which worked well.

rear3qtrporta.jpg

Photos with my Canon 7D, speedlite and a bed sheet as background. I used a piece of silver foil placed on top of the flash to diffuse some of the shadows.

It looks good on my shelf and I hope my pics inspire you guys to build one too.

Very nice! Build the VIII last summer and loved it. Simply a phenomenal kit. For what it's worth, I had the same issues with the kit decals...fortunately I used Barracudacals for 90% of the markings...

Photos with my Canon 7D, speedlite and a bed sheet as background. I used a piece of silver foil placed on top of the flash to diffuse some of the shadows.

Have you ever tried putting a coffee filter on top of the flash? I've never found a better diffuser.

Very nice! Build the VIII last summer and loved it. Simply a phenomenal kit. For what it's worth, I had the same issues with the kit decals...fortunately I used Barracudacals for 90% of the markings...

Have you ever tried putting a coffee filter on top of the flash? I've never found a better diffuser.

No I haven't, I'll give it a try. Thanks.