Glue

jetmex

Hello, everyone.

It's been a while since I've been here, and I'm starting to ease back into plastic modeling after yet another long hiatus. A lot of things have happened since the last build, that's for sure.

This may sound a little strange, but could I possibly get a tutorial on the various glues and when and where to use them? Seems like every time I read a post somewhere, there's a new adhesive I haven't heard of.

Thanks in advance!

Hmm,

If your just getting back into it I would say don't go to fancy.

For assembly of wing halves, joining fuse halves etc go with Tamiya or Testors liquid cement applied with a fine brush. This will weld the plastic rather than glue it. You can go to hotter welds that dry quickly like Plastiweld or Tenex once you are used to these milder versions.

For small parts, areas where you want better control etc get yourself a bottle of medium viscosity and a bottle of thin viscosity CA instant glue (cyanoacrylate glue). You can find this at any hobby shop that sells RC aircraft as it's the main type of glue used in construction.

For metal parts or photo etched parts, resin parts etc I suggest going to Staples and pick up a bottle of this Scotch Quick Dry.

jks-scotch-quick-dry.jpg

Make sure you get the quick dry glue and not the stuff labeled "tacky"

That should really be all you need to build any kit.

Jaime! Long time, no see.

My favorite for plastic to plastic joints is MEK applied with a small brush. I have a couple Testors liquid cement bottles with brushes in the cap that I refill with MEK that I buy from Wal Mart in quart cans for about $8. Put the parts together, brush othe MEK along the seam and hold for a few seconds - PRESTO! They're welded together. No need to scrape paint from the contacting surfaces, either, as the MEK will penetrate the paint and weld them together.

Clear parts are trickier, but MEK works well on those as well if a tiny brush and a lot of care is used to apply it to only the joint. RC-56 Canopy Glue for R/C works well for clear parts, too.

Medium CA with kicker is great for joints where strength and filling are required or desired (such as less than perfect landing gear sockets).

HTH,

D

Clear parts are trickier, but MEK works well on those as well if a tiny brush and a lot of care is used to apply it to only the joint. RC-56 Canopy Glue for R/C works well for clear parts, too.

Actually that Scotch glue I posted a picture of earlier is the cat's meow for clear parts. It drys glossy clear and does not fog.

Thanks for the help and advice, everyone, it sure is appeciated! I will admit to having used CA on my RC stuff, but I sure don't like sanding it.

Darin!! How are ya? You're right, it has been a long time.

Edited by jetmex

Microscale Micro Metal Foil Adhesive

Here's a shot of my foiled Tamiya MiG-15, using foil attached with the above product:

Absolutely 100% agree with Kev here. Ive tried just about EVERY glue imaginable that might work for attaching foil to injection/resin and keep coming back to the original glue I used which is MC Metal adhesive. By far the best combination of stickiness, fast drying time and holding power.

Cant go wrong. After 6 or 7 LSPs foiled and a couple experimental 1/48ths, I can say assuredly that its the best stuff for foiling.

Brian