FM Models CAC Boomerang 1/32nd scale.....

bdthoresen

Thanks a lot Graham for the comments and support. Thanks Mano-

Anyway, here is where we are after the weekend. I am still tweaking the thickness of the wings according to the scale plans, but the following photos show the wings mocked-up, and suprisingly the fit is decent. There will be some filling and sanding, but overall I am happy with the progress. I am now at the point where I am just thinning the trailing edges to the proper thickness.....

DSC02679.jpg

DSC02680.jpg

DSC02684.jpg

And here is a shot of the wingroot fit...not too bad. Little bit of "fettling" required.....

DSC02682.jpg

Thats all for now. Still hacking at it. More to come next weekend.....

Thanks for looking-

THOR :ninja:

Looking good, Thor! Glad to see this kit getting built! I originally planned to build the Montex kit as one variant, then the FM kit as an earlier one in the multi-color camo, but I realized I never would have gotten to it. You are definitely doing it justice!

I told you it was a nice looking kit for a vac! How is the tripe kit?

Dear Thor,

A nice choice for an Aussie built plane.

Looks like this vac kit is coming together nicely for you!

Can not believe how well this vac kit is fitting together and how fast you are going.

I love vac builds on LSP, I always learn so much from them.

Keep up the great work.

Look forward to more updates.

Christian

Looking good Thor! I'd forgotten that at the Avalon Airshow earlier this year, I took a bunch of shots of the Boomerang that was there, so I'll post them here for you later today, my time.

Kev

Thor, too many images to put in a post here, so I'll just point you to my Photobucket gallery, where they all reside:

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww50/kfutter/Boomerang/

Kev

Looking good Thor! I'd forgotten that at the Avalon Airshow earlier this year, I took a bunch of shots of the Boomerang that was there, so I'll post them here for you later today, my time.

Kev

Kev, thanks a lot for the kind words. I am having a ball with this one. I am certainly grateful for any assistance you might be able to provide!

Looking good, Thor! Glad to see this kit getting built! I originally planned to build the Montex kit as one variant, then the FM kit as an earlier one in the multi-color camo, but I realized I never would have gotten to it. You are definitely doing it justice!

I told you it was a nice looking kit for a vac! How is the tripe kit?

Thanks Ray. I want to build this as a CA-13, marked up as "Struth", but I must admit I do like the earlier camo schemes as well. The Tripe is a nice kit, and I am looking forward to getting that one further along soon. This is a great kit. Not exactly Dynavector quality, but darned close!

Dear Thor,

A nice choice for an Aussie built plane.

Looks like this vac kit is coming together nicely for you!

Can not believe how well this vac kit is fitting together and how fast you are going.

I love vac builds on LSP, I always learn so much from them.

Keep up the great work.

Look forward to more updates.

Christian

Thanks a lot, Christian, that means a lot coming from you. I have found your Ju-52 build so far nothing short of inspirational. I am not really building this one fast, I am trying to get all of the main parts to fit as well as I can before I commit to detailing and glue. A little bit more sanding on the trailing edges of the wings, and I will be moving onto the horizontal stabilizers....From there it will be adjusting the fit, then moving to the intial wheel well parts. Once I am happy with all of the fit, I will then commence detailing the inner areas. Might take me a few weeks to get it where I am happy with it, but once that task is complete, should be even more fun! Thanks for stopping in!

Thor, too many images to put in a post here, so I'll just point you to my Photobucket gallery, where they all reside:

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww50/kfutter/Boomerang/

Kev

Kev-

Sweet! The pics are very useful, thank mucho!!!!

THOR :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Thor

Very nice work on getting everything to fit so well.The wing roots seem to be heading down the path of requiring more then it's share of filler and sanding. :clap2:

Can't wait to see the next round of progress photos.

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Hi Thor

Nice choice for your build

My late father worked for some years for CAC

(Comonwealth Aircraft Corporation) at Fisherman's Bend

in Port Melbourne, Melbourne before it became Hawker DeHavilland.

I recall going to the plant in the late 80's for family day's and

having a chance to walk the production areas and walk on the (remains)

of the airstrip where the likes of your Boomerang would have been ground/air tested before delivery to the RAAF.

CAC Plant

CAC Aerial Photo

Look forward to the rest of your build for pure nostalgia reasons

Thanks

Alan

Edited by LDSmodeller

Thor

Very nice work on getting everything to fit so well.The wing roots seem to be heading down the path of requiring more then it's share of filler and sanding. :clap2:

Can't wait to see the next round of progress photos.

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. I will be tweaking the fit of the parts as much as possible before gluing up the parts. I will sand, shim, and trim as much as I can. This is a time-consuming process, but worth the effort now as opposed to fighting the fit later. Still working the trailing edges of the wings, and then I can go ahead and worry about the remaining wing root problems. In the end, nothing a little Milliput cannot solve!!!!

I think this is such a beautiful aircraft and it is nice to see this being

built.Love planes like this a lot.

You make good work.

:)

Thanks Maru. I am trying my best. I like the "Bulldog"-like looks of this bird as well. Something brutish, yet elegant about it....

Hey Thor. It's looking good. Looks like it goes together okay, even straight off the sheet. Are you planning to do much in terms of detailing, or does the kit provide interior bits for you to work with?

Matt :party0023:

Hey Matt. The kit does seem to fit rather well. I will be doing some detailing of the kit, but I have not decided quite how far just yet. I will detail the radial engine itself, as well as the cockpit and wheel wells. I will not be doing anything with the weapons bays, but I am contemplating seperating the control surfaces for a bit more realism. The kit does provide a decent engine in resin and white metal, and the interior is decent as well, using the same materials. Some scratchbuilding will be required, though. The wheel wells are just vac parts, and will need to be plumbed and detailed....But, what they give you certainly gives me a head start!!!!

Hi Thor

Nice choice for your build

My late father worked for some years for CAC

(Comonwealth Aircraft Corporation) at Fisherman's Bend

in Port Melbourne, Melbourne before it became Hawker DeHavilland.

I recall going to the plant in the late 80's for family day's and

having a chance to walk the production areas and walk on the (remains)

of the airstrip where the likes of your Boomerang would have been ground/air tested before delivery to the RAAF.

CAC Plant

CAC Aerial Photo

Look forward to the rest of your build for pure nostalgia reasons

Thanks

Alan

Alan. Thanks for the links and the kind words. I am honored that it brings back good memories of your father. I will do my best not to let him, or you down!!!! ;) Appreciate the feedback.....More to come soon.

THOR, still sanding......

Guest Peterpools

Thor

Looking forward to following along on the next stage of construction. For me, this has always been the most laborious and tedious part of a build.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All- Took a bit of time to find my build topic...seems we have some busy bees here at LSP. This project is not dead, far from it. While I am waiting for the camera batteries to charge, I figured I would update you all with the progress so far.

When I last checked in I had just cut the main parts of the wings and fuselage from the carier sheets. I have been working on the trailing edge thickness. The plastic in the FM kit is really thick, so it took some serious work to get them thinned out enough for my liking. I ended up using a motor tool and some blades to scoop out the excess plastic, thus resulting in the trailing edges being about a third of their original thickness. Final thinning will be done when the wings are joined up....

I have also cut out the wheel wells and dressed their edges, as well as the landing light areas and shell ejector chutes. The chutes will need refining, as they are still a bit rough. I do not have small enough files to get in there yet, so I am still pondering what I will do with those. They will eventually be backed up from the inside with styrene, as the kit just has some faint scribed lines in their place. I will also be rescribing the lower wing later, and possibly even riveting it as well. I also still have to scribe out the aileron end gaps, and detail them. The control surfaces are marked on the kit with faint lines, so they will have to be scribed in much deeper.

As far as the wheel wells, the kit gives you two shells that are to be glued into the lower wing- This is nice, but completely fictional. They are supposed to be partially open, similar to the Fw-190 Dora, where you can see a large portion of the accessory areas of the engine compartment. I am getting ready to make a main spar, and will modify the kit parts acordingly. So far so good, and I will post pics in a couple of hours to show the work performed.

Thanks for stopping by-

THOR :ninja:

Here are a few snaps as promised. Here is an overall shot of the wing assembly....

DSC02695.jpg

And here is a shot fo the wheel well cutouts. They were "chain-drilled" and cut out, then filed to shape....

DSC02696.jpg

This shot shows the location of the shell ejector chutes. They are rough, but I will get the tidied up before too long.....

DSC02697.jpg

Last one shows the aileron lines. Way too shallow, and no endgaps....This will not do.....

DSC02699.jpg

That is all for now. I am getting the kids ready for school tomorrow, and I need to take care of some things around the house. Take care all- More to follow soon......

THOR :party0023:

Edited by bdthoresen

Hey Matt. The kit does seem to fit rather well. I will be doing some detailing of the kit, but I have not decided quite how far just yet. I will detail the radial engine itself, as well as the cockpit and wheel wells. I will not be doing anything with the weapons bays, but I am contemplating seperating the control surfaces for a bit more realism. The kit does provide a decent engine in resin and white metal, and the interior is decent as well, using the same materials. Some scratchbuilding will be required, though. The wheel wells are just vac parts, and will need to be plumbed and detailed....But, what they give you certainly gives me a head start!!!!

THOR, still sanding......

Good to see that it provides some detail at least, most of those vac-kits are barely "kits" in the loosest sense of the word, pretty much requiring everything to be sourced, probably why I haven't done one yet. But you're doing a great job, I'll be sure to follow along with this build, hopefully it turns out as well as your Mc.202

Matt :party0023: