Z-M vs. Tamiya 'Stang D

Bill Cross

I just came up for air long enough to see the announcement about the Z-M P-51 D Mustang, and was wondering if anyone had anything more about it?

Price?

Source of its dimensions? After all, Tamiya is claiming they've had access to the only production 'Stang around.

I have only enough $$$$ for one 32-scale Mustang, so I want to get the right one.

I assume the Tamiya bird will have more AM goodies to choose from (Eagle Editions has already said they're working on new decals), but Z-M seems to contract out for their own PE, etc.

Edited by Bill Cross

I sure that the ZM Mustang will be nice kit, going off their last couple of releases and upcoming Skyraider.

Sure ZM will come out with their own aftermarket parts... But I expect there will be more aftermarket offerings for the Tamiya Mustang.

I have only enough $$$$ for one 32-scale Mustang, so I want to get the right one.

Just curious. Why ask anyone here which is the 'right one'? Isn't the 'right one' the plane that meets your budget, the modelling experience you're after? You may find the ZM is a totally different approach to modelling the plane in a kit (eg Hasegawa approach vs Dragon approach). I'm wondering though if you meant which of the model kits is the most faithful scale replica of the real plane. I'd imagine stay tuned and keep and eye out for Ironwings/Radu's and other comments as they are likely to be made on the basis of some documentary evidence.

This all reminds me a lot of this:

http://youtu.be/kHWF50pXkEw

He he...

Cheers Matty

Ok, trying not bite here, but Bill you seem to be implying EagleCals decals are ONLY for the Tamiya Mustang, and that somehow they will dissolve if put on any other company's plastic (whether it be ZM or not)!

Jerry C is doing what any good businessman does, and making the most of Stang fever - nothing wrong with that I say, and we get some nice decals in the process.

Let's wait and see what actually turns up.

OK, I can see why the threads here sometimes go on for %$#7ing ever over nothing.... :P A guy asks a simple question and everyone wants to start parsing his words for hidden meanings.

"Bill you seem to be implying EagleCals decals are ONLY for the Tamiya Mustang, and that somehow they will dissolve if put on any other company's plastic (whether it be ZM or not)!"

Uh, no. I meant (pretty clearly) that AM companies are already announcing they will be producing AM products with the Tamiya Mustang as the focus. Assuming you put them on another 32-scale kit, they should work fine, but don't take my word for it.

"Why ask anyone here which is the 'right one'? Isn't the 'right one' the plane that meets your budget, the modelling experience you're after?"

You know, somewhere I got the impression that some of you guys know a thing or two about airplanes, but maybe I was misled? :wacko:

"You may find the ZM is a totally different approach to modelling the plane in a kit (eg Hasegawa approach vs Dragon approach).

Don't know anything about "the Hasegawa approach vs. Dragon approach" unless referring to accuracy of dimensions. Do you mean you get more for your money with Dragon than Hasegawa?

"I'm wondering though if you meant which of the model kits is the most faithful scale replica of the real plane."

Bingo. Don't want to spend $100 for a kit that is then ruled to be incorrect by those in the know.

"This all reminds me a lot of this: http://youtu.be/kHWF50pXkEw"

Funny video, no question. And this thread reminds me of this:

You might want to rethink the tone of your reply. I wasn't trying to be smart but get to the heart of your question which was frankly ambiguous. If you simply want some uber guru on the Mustang to tell you what you should do with your dollars then fine...your money. You have fun modelling.

Thanks Matt

You might want to rethink the tone of your reply. I wasn't trying to be smart but get to the heart of your question which was frankly ambiguous.

Matt, lighten up a bit, your message sounded condescending in the extreme to me. If I mistook your meaning, I certainly apologize; just poking a little fun back at you guys. And you hafta admit, this forum can beat a topic to death.... :lol:

So there is no ambiguity, I'm interested to know if there was any advance word on the Z-M kit other than what's coming out of Z-M. The reviews of their kits so far (I have not purchased one) seem to indicate a very detailed approach to styrene planes. But Tamiya is claiming they have the final say on a dimensionally-accurate 'Stang. As both will be in the $100+/- range, I am trying to figure out whether to pre-order the Tamiya (and save some $$$), or wait for the Z-M to come out and watch the fur fly as the experts weigh in on the two planes.

I hope that makes things clearer.

Bill, to answer your question directly, we still don't have enough info for a comparison yet.

What Matt was trying to say, assuming the ZM kit is comparable in accuracy to the Tamiya kit, the choice may come down to whether you want to build up the airplane with nearly all interior detail of the real aircraft as that seems to be the approach ZM is taking with their latest kits, or the Tamiya kit with detail for the most part only where it can be seen.

The reference to Hasegawa vs Dragon is alluding that Hasegawa typically provides a good outline with few interior details (and fewer parts) vs Dragon(or Trumpeter!) that adds a lot of detail and a mega amount of parts, including detail that will never be seen.

Hope that makes sense.

I've seen some pics of the Tamiya Mustang from Shizuoka, and it looks great, despite not being close up images. I have seen the CAD for the ZM kit and seen their mountain of reference, but I can't make comparisons at this stage.

Both companies will have gone to amazing lengths to make sure that the Mustang fan gets what they want, whichever approach the modeller wishes to take.

I'm sure I'll have some ZM Mustang announces and info before too long, and when I do, I'll post here.

Bill, to answer your question directly, we still don't have enough info for a comparison yet.

What Matt was trying to say, assuming the ZM kit is comparable in accuracy to the Tamiya kit, the choice may come down to whether you want to build up the airplane with nearly all interior detail of the real aircraft as that seems to be the approach ZM is taking with their latest kits, or the Tamiya kit with detail for the most part only where it can be seen.

The reference to Hasegawa vs Dragon is alluding that Hasegawa typically provides a good outline with few interior details (and fewer parts) vs Dragon(or Trumpeter!) that adds a lot of detail and a mega amount of parts, including detail that will never be seen.

Hope that makes sense.

Bill,

It really is to early to know anything about either kit with the exception of the pics found here in. I will say this however, if you want to know about Mustangs go here...

http://p51sig.com/viewforum.php

Sign up, its free. Youll not find a nicer bunch. Everyone there is as pleasant as those found here, all are helpful to the nth degree, and all are very knowledgable about Mustangs.

Time will tell how the two kits stack up against each other...my only problem with them is that it's so tiny :D

Best,

Geoff