Robin Olds Flamingo 01

big matt

Love the level of weathering, I am a relatively recent convert to the silver pencil. :goodjob:

You don't see this type of weathering on the Navy jets. Am I correct in assuming the salt air would quickly degrade the metal, and so maintenance is constantly doing patch jobs to not have any bare metal? Or was the paint more hard wearing?

Looks good to me. Much like the way I did a 1/48 Phantom that I did a million years ago. More knowledge and skill now too.

I should have said use a pastel chalk that is the same color as the dirt in the theater of use.

Macbain, you are right. Navy planes got a bit more care in the paint department from what I can tell. I have not studied Navy Phantoms but have looked at Skyhawks from the same era and they are in better shape with the chipping and bare metal.

Got it Joe, I wonder what the dirt in Thailand was like???

Yo Dave! Thanks for checking in and I agree about the gray. I did use a gray pencil as well as silver. It is just about impossible to tell them apart in the pics. I did throw in a couple panels in the Navy Gray though... :evil_laugh:

Thanks Peter! The thing still has to fly so I figured "less is more".

Ok, jury is out on the FOD gaurds. Not sure if they are right for the period or not. They are what I had though. If not, the inlets need some paint and don't look too close for the gap.

4a93a816.jpg

2495dfb7.jpg

6cb4e438.jpg

Overall filthiness

36aa4b2e.jpg

Nitrogen fill gauge

c900c125.jpg

Dirty wing

0a1180d6.jpg

Boot prints and such

838981da.jpg

5a0e857c.jpg

Dirty back

7af1c937.jpg

Ok, I am just about done with this thing. No more weathering I think. Just a few tidbits and the other bang seat and I am home free.

Looks great

Pls PM me when you post your finished pics and I'll have these uploaded permanently to the site and posted in the gallery of finished builds.

Cheers

Ron

Will do Ron, thanks.

Thanks Barry! I appreciate it and it means a lot from someone who was there.

Thanks Peter, good reference really helps. I just tried a bunch of different techniques I have been working on. Seems ok.

Next stop is the finish line. Maybe in a few days or so if I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

She is done but I just need to snap some pics. Busy building the revetment now! No, I am kidding, a base would be about a meter square and I don't want to fill that many scale sandbags!!! :BANGHEAD2:

Hopefully some pics soon.

She is done but I just need to snap some pics.

Typical :rolleyes:

Didn't we have to wait for your final Corsair pictures for over 2 weeks because weather in LA was not up to your high photo session standards? Hurry up! ;)

hahahahahahaha

You're killing me Tomek! Actually this has been my latest build.

1ab9b3a1.jpg

Just got it ready to ride the other day. No time for Phantom pics, this baby is a real rocket, I hit almost 81kph coming down the mountain, :piliot: too cool.

I hit almost 81kph coming down the mountain

Prolly something to do with excessive weight on a downward slope. Lots of inertia there.

Sleek and sexy!

Although I'm sure with you on it, the bike looses some of it's charm :P

Yup too much lycra!

Phil who is hoping Cav makes it through the Alps and takes the green jersey in Paris!