Robin Olds Flamingo 01

big matt

Ohhhhh Tomek, I think you are right!

Phil, it just worked out that I got the HTC team bike. Cav is awesome. That boy is FAST! I get really sick of the whiners complaining about his team and technique. Our best, Farrar, is just too slow and cries at the drop of a hat. His latest anti-Cav comments were ridiculous sour grapes. I am quite sure Cav will be around in Paris sporting green. His lead is pretty substantial now and the spinters will have a tough time getting enough points, especially since HighRoad has no gc guy.

Cav and Renshaw and Eisel and Martin, best leadout in town!

Oh, and inertia is nothing without the courage to use it, lycra is not armor, just vanity... :innocent:

Edited by big matt

Matt, just went back through this build and I had I thought I'd posted on your wonderful build. I think your paint and weathering are TOP NOTCH, my friend ! Congrats on a job well done, sir....Harv :thumbsup:

Cool Ron, thanks for adding it.

Thanks Harv, I appreciate your input.

Thanks David!

Thanks for looking in Derek but you had to ask about the Colonel. He was causing trouble with the Thai girls at the officers club so he is cooling his heels for a bit... I hope he likes it.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, sorry I'm late, but I have one item I wanted to ask about, and another item you could still add to this beautiful model. The one I wanted to ask about is whether you got the formation lights on the rear of the wingtips? They are red on the left and dark blue-green on the right, just like the nav lights on the front wingtip corners. I couldn't see them in your photos. Many Phantom models don't have those. To my knowledge every Phantom has them, but for sure all the USAF versions do. Here'a a photo I took a few years ago:

Scan910.jpg

And the item I wanted to suggest was more scuffs on the sides of the fuselage. Barry was right about us maintenance guys climbing from the wing onto the intake trunks and sliding down off the trunks on to the wing during the course of maintenance. To get up on the plane we'd use either the retractable boarding ladder or the removeable maintenance ladder. But when we needed to change out a black box, we'd slide it up on the wing just inboard of the inboard pylon, then climb up the boarding ladder, walk across the top of the left vari-ramp onto the left intake trunk, then slide down onto the left wing, pick up the avionics box and put it up on the trunk, hop back up on the trunk and then take the box either to the cockpit or Door 19 aft of the rear cockpit. So any Phantom that wasn't factory fresh accumulated a number of scuffmarks on the sides of the trunks from our combat boots as we slid down off the trunk on to the wing. The right trunk side had far less marks as the only time anyone went down that side was when some maintenance or check had to be done on that side.

Here's a photo I took of an ACMI pod on a Ramstein 526 TFS Phantom I used to work on that also shows the scuff marks on the right side very well, again there would be even more on the left:

ACMIpodon526TFS86TFWF-4EDecimommannuABItalyOctober241985ScottRWilson.jpg

And a photo I took of F-4E 68-0372 of the 512 TFS that shows some wear and scuff marks (wish I'd photographed the left side of this jet!):

68-0442Dec1985DecimommannuScottRWilson.jpg

Finally, some shots of 68-0372's wings showing the general weathering of the SEA paint:

F-4ESEAleftwingScottWilson-1.jpg

F-4ESEArightwingScottWilson-1.jpg

Thanks for the excellent photos Scott. I did my best with what I had at the time and sure could have used your help!!!

As far as the lights, they are there for sure. I use Gunze clear blue for the green as the lights look blue/black when not lit. I guess I just did not take a pic of them. Too late now as she's long gone.

I did find the pics of the scuffs on the side trunking very helpful. I tried to duplicate them with a brown prismacolor pencil when I was working on the Phantom.

here are some other pics showing the weathering I tried

76140eda.jpg

5c5f0d6d.jpg

10de7a67.jpg

I also had the od touch-ups that seem to be evident in your shots.

8fd7071f.jpg

I limited the scuffing on the trunking to the area closest to the inlets, the thought was the closest point between the spot where you got on the wing, to the cockpit.

46ba9e97.jpg

I also tried to vary the rivet/screw colors. It seems that when the paint chipped, the different materials used corroded differently. I did notice this effect in most sea colored F-4's.

My intention was to duplicate what I saw. I am trying to break old bad habits of modeling a model. Maybe one of these days I will get a camera that is more than 4 megapixels...

Thanks for your input!