Robin Olds Flamingo 01

big matt

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, it's been a while. Had to get that Corsair off my bench. That's another story...

Back to the Phantom!

I have been doing some pit painting. I still need to get the second seat painted but this is where I am now.

8f3272f7.jpg

39d3cf09.jpg

9c85d3e1.jpg

ba33ae37.jpg

I want to get the cockpit done so I can get the thing to start looking like an airplane. I will feel better about it then.

Thanks for looking in,

Matt

My blistering pace continues... :tumble:

I needed to get somewhere fast so I started a mad frenzy of gluing and screwing things together. The rear section got a selection of metalizers. There are about four or five shades in there and once polished look ok to me.

46014d99.jpg

2d198dbf.jpg

209eddc4.jpg

There are a few minor trouble areas that popped up when I attached the lower wing assembly but not too bad.

8d0042d3.jpg

The wing root had a bit of a gap but I wiped some Mr. Disolved Putty into the gap and that was it.

7df9dd6e.jpg

The nose cone fit is another story. It had a nice gap here but hangs over almost all the way round. Not cool.

db381e77.jpg

Here she is now. Long way to go but she looks like a phantom. Almost.

04c72efa.jpg

Thanks guys!

Harv, I used the Model Masters Metalizers over the MM acryl grey primer. The shades I used were Titanium, Stainless Steel, Exhaust, Burnt Metal, Dark Andondonic Grey, and Magnesium. I did a base coat with exhaust and then used post it notes to mask the main areas and then shaded them with successive mists of the other colors until I got the look I wanted. After it dried for a couple minutes I buffed it with a soft cloth and sealed it with the Metalizer sealer. The proper sealer does a better job of keeping the metal effect than other clear coats.

Lazy modeling Sunday. The dihedral on this thing was a real treat. The 12.5 degree requirement left me with some unsightly gaps to fill. I hope it will work out ok. I also worked on the stabilators. I did not want to paint them after installation so they got the basic colors now. I will not put them on until the end, that way I can mask around the metallic areas on the "arse" end!

c2288af1.jpg

b78cfd5a.jpg

08f4ff4b.jpg

bca3fbb8.jpg

83a0a065.jpg

05308a98.jpg

0717db97.jpg

Question. Did the Navy and early grey F-4C's have the FS36622 Grey or were the undersides more white? Was the top color on the early C's FS36440 Light Gull Grey?

Barry???

Edited by big matt

Question. Did the Navy and early grey F-4C's have the FS36622 Grey or were the undersides more white? Was the top color on the early C's FS36440 Light Gull Grey?

Barry???

Matt,

As delivered the USAF Phantons were painted the same FS colors as the USN Phantoms.

Upper FS16440 (Light Gull Grey); Underside and upper surfaces of flight controls and rudder FS17875 (White).

Barry

shows you can achieve a lot with the metalizers and dont necessairily need alclad

:evil_laugh: Thanks! I have a real problem with being able to consistently apply Alclad. The cost against coverage is an obstacle as well.

Thanks Barry, one of my refs is really wrong. I thought it might be white but needed your expert reassurance.

• 2 weeks later...

Fiddly bits and pieces and messes.

Got a little work done over the weekend and thought I would post up.

What a beast!

92f4fdb0.jpg

0cfef35d.jpg

Aileron bleed down

667350d8.jpg

Trumoy ALQ-71 pod. I think. The kit part is not close to what was used by these guys at that time.

3b6027fb.jpg

Shortened up the air conditioning intakes.

d64ec454.jpg

There is a big mistake in this picture. Maybe more than one but only one I am aware of.

c04f66a2.jpg

The kit represents the Sidewinder rails as they were after June of 1967. Olds asked for an offset to the rail so that he could carry a full bomb and missile load at the same time. I had to remove the spar and attach the rail directly to the pylon. My understanding was that the 8th TFW converted all the Navy type inboard pylons by March of 1967, approximately. The centerline tank is from a Revell kit and the outboard pylon is from the other kit wing tank. It is in the process of being tweaked.

Fixed pylon.

251f0ca3.jpg

Not much else to report but I am plugging away on this thing. I hope to break out the paint gear soon, I need to invest in some SEA colors, by the quart!

Good to see an update Matt.

It looks like it's starting to come together. :speak_cool:

Keep the updates coming!

I'm still build flaps but I did move on to the gear for a break.

Hope to post update this weekend.

Barry