P-51B

LSP_Ron

Very nice paint job Ron,

This is one area I am whatching closely, have not done to much paint spraying. Did you paint with matt finish first then spray with gloss?

Richard

Thanks,

I used MM enamel matt Olive Drab and Neutral gray thinned with Lacquer thinner by about 25% thinner to paint. I buy the large cans of Lacquer thinner from Canadian Tire. It's also useful for cleaning the airbrush etc. For the OD I sprayed the base color first then added some MM light tan (can't remember what color but it doesn't matter) then heavily thinned this mixture and did some post shading in the center of panels and rivet areas. If you over do it you can go back with base color.

I then used MM Gloss clear also thinned with Lacquer thinner as a base for decalling. I am now in mid process of spraying it with Humbrol matt clear varnish also thinned with Lacquer thinner. FYI you probably know this but PM Hobbies on 32nd ave NE carries the best selection of these paints.

Ron

Edited by ron

It looks really lovely, the paint shading is very nicely done. Reading of how much the kit has fought you just makes me wish again I hadn't farted around so long to buy a replacement resin P-51B before Mr Rutman stopped making his lovely kit. Well, that and hoping the moving guy who lost/wandered off with the one I'd bought at least built the d**ned thing.

Matt

Thanks guys

Well I was heading to the finish line but hit a snag again when trying to get it on it's feet. I was going to order a set of wheels from Jerry but opted not to figuring I just want this build done since it's fought me a lot. I opted to use the kit wheels... Bad idea, when assembling them the silver on the hubs rubbed all over the rubber tires. Efforts to remove this made things worse so I opted to paint the tires. I used Testors rubber which for some reason dried gloss? I dull coated with Humbrol matt and this now won't dry!!! they are very very sticky and they are still gloss :BANGHEAD2: On the good side, it's all weathered now and I am happy with the results.

Looks like I will have to bother Jerry for a set of wheels next week....

thanks for looking

Ron

PC310001.jpg

PC310006.jpg

PC310002.jpg

PC310003.jpg

PC310004.jpg

PC310005.jpg

Wow Ron just picked up on this thread, and I must say I am impressed. She looks really good...I especially like the weathering on the wingroots. Very convincing.

As far as the rubber tires are concerned, I seem to remember one of my club mates telling me he assembles the wheels, cleans them with alcohol, and dips them in Future and lets them dry for 48 hrs.....He then paints them with his normal paints.....He seemed to have good luck with it. If you are going to replace them anyway, you might want to try it if you can.......

Anyway, looking forward to the conclusion. Nice Work!!!!!

THOR, who likes Mustangs........

As far as the rubber tires are concerned, I seem to remember one of my club mates telling me he assembles the wheels, cleans them with alcohol, and dips them in Future and lets them dry for 48 hrs.....He then paints them with his normal paints.....

That's what I plan on doing with my 262 wheels, so wheel (ahem!) see how it turns out.

Kev

thanks for all the kind comments all.

Wheels are sorted out. The Alcohol soak worked perfectly. All paint removed and wheels ready to mount.

Been packing up X-mas decorations etc all day so I haven't had time to finish this one up yet, maybe later tonight.....

Cheers!

Ron

Well I managed to finish it up this week. I guess it didn't turn out all that bad.

I have to say I think this just might be my last Trump. build. I have a Corsair in the stash that I was going to start next but after

chatting with Matt and all the problems he's had with his build I think it will stay in the box for awhile longer.

thanks for looking.

P1080001.jpg

P1080002.jpg

P1080006-1.jpg

P1080004.jpg

P1080005-1.jpg

P1080003.jpg