P-51B

LSP_Ron

Thanks

Any more progress? Thanks

A little, thanks for asking.

I redid the radiator area using aluminum from a pop can (I didn't get around to drinking a beer ^_^ )

I made a paper template for the sides then trimmed the aluminum to fit. I glued these in first then added the roof of the radiator bay. The curve of the can matched the curve of the fuse perfectly for the roof. This hides that ugly gap. I used the kit supplied PE radiator door which actually looks good. I sprayed the gear bay spar zinc chromate yellow and decided to hit the radiator area also to see if there was any gaps. I found one on the radiator door that will have to be filled. I still have to add the door actuator rod. I am now painting the gear bay and hope to get this mounted to the wing soon.

More to come soon I hope.

PB100013.jpg

PB220002.jpg

PB220001.jpg

PB220003.jpg

Thanks Matt,

The Yellow is Chromate Yellow by Testors. It's the old Testors enamel that comes in the little square glass bottles that have been around since dirt was invented. I think it's a great match for zinc chromate yellow

The rest of the wheel well will go aluminum.

I haven't touched the kit in a few days but hope to get something done this weekend.

Cheers

Thanks

Well I managed a little more progress. I have the Aires gear bay in. I was advised after I bought this that it really is a gear bay for an Alison powered P-51 but none the less it looks better than the kit gear bay.

I had every intention of grafting the Revell Carb intake to this kit but having played with (cut up) the clear fuse Trump supplies it became obvious that all I would manage to do is hose up this fuse. The Revell one just won't work. I think the best solution maybe to graft a Hase nose to this kit but I don't have a spare Hase kit to cut up. What I ended up doing was carefully opening up the kit supplied intake. Believe it or not, this was opened up about 50% larger than the original kit one and it still looks small.

Thanks for looking.

PB300002.jpg

PB300001.jpg

The Revell intake is shown on the right

PB300005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I pretty much had my fill of this kit. No bars held, it's a P-O-S as far as I am concerned

All these fixes just to make it look "kind of" like a P-51 and I still hit walls.

Tonight I went to add all the 12 little tiny exhaust manifolds and the very first one went flying off to the carpet gods when cutting it off the sprue. No exhaust means no finished kit..... apparently it's to hard to mold the exhaust as one piece. The individually tips are not hollowed out so what is the point of making these little (yet major) parts separate? Loose one and your done!

This one is going to the unfinished build shelf.

I've had it, No more Trump kits unless I know they are up to the level of their Dauntless.....needless breaking down of components into smaller parts for no reason what so ever. Major dollars spent on AM, a lot of work modifying the kit and it still isn't close to being accurate...not that I am an accuracy freak but this one isn't even close without major work.

Sorry for being so blunt but I am PO'd.

Ron

Edited by LSP_Ron

You have my sympathies Ron and we have all been there! :BANGHEAD2:

Maybe if you walk away from this one for a while.

In cases like this I usually clean out the vacuum cleaner then go over the carpet.

I then empty it out on newspaper and in many cases I have been able to retrieve the part and find some

I had thought lost forever!

Chin up mate, go build something else for a while.

Phil

In cases like this I usually clean out the vacuum cleaner then go over the carpet.

I then empty it out on newspaper and in many cases I have been able to retrieve the part and find some

I had thought lost forever!

Phil

Or just put one your beloved's old pantyhoses around the end of the vaccum-cleaner tube, and pick-up the part that get stuck there !

This can help with retrieving the lost part, but will not change the accuracy of the kit however ...Cheer up Ron, things could get worse ...and this is when the earth starts shuddering and the sky becomes ink-black :wicked: ...

Hubert.

Edited by MostlyRacers

I've had it, No more Trump kits unless I know they are up to the level of their Dauntless.....

I agree completely. There are three shelved Trumpy kits in my stash that have utterly frustrated me. I don't know if it is me or the kits but I was just able to get them done. Maybe someday.

Sorry to hear it Ron. I was just going through the last couple pics and was thinking that it was starting to look like a B. Move on, it is supposed to be fun after all.

Jerry's exhausts would be the best solution. If you were building one with exhaust shrouds removed you could use the round ended exhausts from the PCM Spitfire IX kit.

Don't give up Ron, you've made excellent progress. Walk away for a bit, have a rum and come back when you're ready.

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks for the support all. I have the next few days down in Houston so maybe I'll cool off a little while down here.

I have a Tamiya Zero and another Tamiya Spit Mk IX sitting in the stash. Maybe I'll crack the wrapping on one and start it for a little break into an ease of build mode...